trailer project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailer project

Planning to build a couple of trailers soon. Have MIG and stick capability. 32 years of stick experience and 9 of MIG. Not my first rodeo, having built 4 or 5. Which process? BTW, all welds will be 2-3 inches in length on 3/16" 2X3 angle iron.

3/16 sounds light to me, but then again I don't know what load your carrying and what design you are using. This opinion will score me no points on this site, but if you can stick it, go with the stick as that is the majority of your experience. I don't know what you can run for amps, but if your getting proper penetration and every weld doesn't have to look perfect stay with the stick. Stick is the hardess weld to learn and perfect. Mig is great but stick is a challenge. If you can stick well, mig is no problem and you have the satisfaction of knowing that you have done something many others can't do. Now that I've committed polictical suicide on this site, I'll shut my mouth
    Happiness is a hot electrode

Comment

trailer

After talking to Champion Trailer, they say that 3/16" is fine for my trailer application. Both stick and MIG capable of 250 amps. I was thinking of MIG because of convenience, but with a 5X8 trailer I will have to move the MIG around whereas I have 60' of lead for the stick and can leave it alone and pull the lead around.

Comment

Working inside or out? If inside, I'd go MIG just because of the ease of cleanup with no need to knock slag off. If outside I'd do the stick.

I am not busting your stones, but with so much experience why are you asking this? Is there a specific considerstion or concern you have or are you just looking for general answers? Again, I am not trying to be a jerk, but instead just trying to understand your question.
        AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
        Miller MM210--now X2
        Hypertherm 380
        Miller autodark hood

Comment

john12865,
          Not to worry...there are still stick weldors on this site. Stick can be the best and sometimes only solution to a welding problem. I agree with you that MIG looks easy. An experienced stick welder will be making good looking MIG welds in 5 minutes of practice. BUT - the trick with MIG is to get penetrating welds that are strong. Good looking MIG welds are not always very strong. It is easy to fill in a bevel with MIG bead that won't hold much. This is not a big problem on thinner stuff up to 1/8 inch, but on thicker metal you really have to know what you are doing to get the same strength as a good stick weld.

Comment

ZACHV

No offense taken. I have never welded a trailer w/MIG and wanted some feedback. MY MIG experience is actually less than indicated because I haven't done as much welding lately as I once did. I am confident in my ability, just wanted some feedback on best process to use.

PS, I will probably be able to work in the garage for the most part, so wind isn't a consideration. We all know that a perfectly calm day can produce gale force winds once you trigger the MIG torch!

Comment

Working...
            X