dc welding aluminum with helium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dc welding aluminum with helium

I have been welding aluminum with my tig rig set on dc, no high frequency and helium shelding gas . my question is this a good process , and is it stronger than ac.
    [email protected]

HI FORDRACER80.......... I'VE NEVER USED HELIUM ON ALUMINUM AS THE HELIUM TENDS TO BURN HOTTER THAN MOST OTHER GASSES...........MOST INVERTERS NOW DON'T HAVE HIGH FREQUENCY IN THEM ANYMORE SO I DON'T SEE THAT AS A PROBLEM. I NEED A COUPLE OF THINGS ANSWERED HERE DO YOU HAVE AC CAPABILITYS ON YOU MACHINE, STRAIGHT HELIUM OR A BLEND, AND HOW THICK IS THE METAL...............I WOULD THINK ARGON WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO BUT NEED MORE QUESTIONS ANSWERED YET.............................ROCK
    [email protected]ELDS.COM

Comment

Rock, if he is welding aluminum on DC-, you must use Helium only. It is a good process and can be just as strong as AC. The problem is it is a pain in the butt to do because of the cleanliness needed. Without AC and the cleaning action of the positive side of the wave and no ARGON, you have no cleaning action in the weld. Therefore, all cleaning must be done before welding. Bummer.
      Respectfully,
      Mike Sherman
      Shermans Welding

Comment

THANKS MIKE..........YOUR RIGHT ON THE DC AND HELIUM I USUALLY ONLY DEAL WITH SMALLER STUFF. HELIUM WILL DRIVE THE ARC DOWN DEEP NO DOUBT AS WILL THE DC SIDE......... STILL WAITING ON FORDRACER80 TO ANSWER THE QUESTION...............THICKNESS AND STRAIGHT OR BLEND OF HELIUM........................THANKS.............. ROCK
        [email protected]

Comment

Hi Fordracer80, and Rock
          I saw this done once tig-welding D/C on aluminum and the metal was so clean and the floor was spot less, you could have eaten off the floor. You don't have the cleaning action like A/C does. This goes back to the 1980's.
          Matt

Comment

mostly thicker than .250 but some times thinner with back gas, and yes i have ac capabilities . Also it is pure helium ,i don't clean it any more than when welding with ac ,it seems to bring the impurities to the surface

thanks
            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X