brazing using oxy/ace??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brazing using oxy/ace??

Any tips on how to braze 2 7/8 to 4 inch OD ( 1/4 inch wall ) using a oxy/ace outfit.

What size of tip?
    What should my oxy/ace be set to 3psi?
    What should I use for my solder?
    What is the techique?

Or am I wasting my time? I don't have a stick welder and can't afford one at this time ( a good welder ). I thought about renting one but it's been 15-20 years since I've burned any rods. I would be lucky if I could remeber how to strike an arc at this point

Thanks

Weld It

Not sure what shape your 2-7/8 is, but why not weld it with oxy/acetylene?

I'll let the pros give you tip size and settings. I'd just turn it up 'til you get enough heat, use some filler rod and go for it!

I hope this doesn't sound too crude but welding it should be better unless you have very dissimilar metals.

Dave
    "Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fire hydrant"

Comment

It's round steel pipe, and I cut the 2 7/8 to butt up to the 4 inch. Basically I am building pulling post for a barbwire fence ( 4 inch round post with 2 7/8 round brakets )

Comment

oxy/acet. brazing

Lots of tubes have been brazed for heavy duty applications, but the fumes from the flux aren't conducive to good vision while brazing, and I think brazing is harder to learn than welding. I agree with Dave, I think it would be easier to weld it.

Victor recommends the following pressures depending on tip size and metal being welded:

#3 tip for 1/8"-3/16" thick set Oxygen 4-7 and Acetylene 3-6
        #4 tip for 3/16"-1/4" thick, set Oxygen 5-10 and Acetylene 4-7
        #5 tip for 1/4"-1/2" thick, set Oxygen 6-12 and Acetylene 5-8

I got this from their Acetylene welding nozzle and cutting tip pocket data card. Their part # is 56-0411. Got it free from a welding supply several years ago. Data is close enough for most torches.

Comment

Working...
        X