Welding on 16ga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding on 16ga

I'm going to be using my HH135 on some 5/8" square 16ga tubing, and want to use .035 solid with 75/25 gas. Any problem with this setup?
    Trent
    Building my wife's fortune - one machine at a time!
    Bobcat 250, MM210 w/3545 spoolgun, HH135, Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC w/HF251, Red AC/DC tombstone, Victor SRII

Just a hunch,I bet you will like.030 better.I do know my sp175 plus lincoln works perfect with 16 gauge,75/25,.030.You could not get a better looking flat weld bead.

Comment

I just welded some 16gauge sheet and used .024 wire. worked REALLY well. used it with 75/25 gas.

Comment

use .030 solid wire, it will weld better IF the 135 could handle it much at all. That is really more wire than that machine will handle very well. It can be done, but you will like the smaller wire better. Solid wire is not very expensive, why not get what works best.

Comment

HI MARK WHIDDEN..........GIVE ME A CALL ABOUT YOUR MACHINE. IF IT WON'T HANDLE .030 WIRE MAYBE THEIR IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT...............GOT A FEW EASY CHECKS TO FIND OUT. CAN'T GET THRU SEND ME AN E-MAIL.............. ROCK
          [email protected]

Comment

Went and bought a 2lb spool of .024 and a couple of tips. Got home and popped the cover, only to discover I had .030 already in the machine - so I used the .030. Worked just fine 'til I ran out of wire (on Sunday, of course!). Ran over to Home Depot - they only stock .035 flux cored. Lowe's was across the street and they carry a good assortment of Lincoln wires. Finished the job real quick and clean. Kept the .024 - you can't have too many choices on hand!

The project? I have one of those big (3'Wx2'Dx6'H) two-door metal office storage cabinets with 4 adjustable shelves. The shelf is supported on brackets front and rear, out almost to the corners. I store a lot of benchtop power tools in it, and those stamped steel shelves buckle if you overload them. One shelf had about 150lbs on it and buckled. I pounded it back into shape, and cut 5/8" square tubing to fit under the front and rear lips of the shelf. It was a snap fit, and probably would have done the job - but, heah, any job worth doing is worth overdoing, so I cut stringers and welded them front-to-back every 12" on the shelf. Sure stiffened those shelves up! Did all 4 shelves for $9 worth of steel and a hour of my Sunday. Didn't even have to miss a game.

Now I can move tools in the cabinet without acting like I'm working with a house of cards. Thanks again for the advice!
            Trent
            Building my wife's fortune - one machine at a time!
            Bobcat 250, MM210 w/3545 spoolgun, HH135, Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC w/HF251, Red AC/DC tombstone, Victor SRII

Comment

Working...
            X