AC easier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC easier?

I'm still trying to figure out this new site thats going on.
    Please excuse my stupidity about the computer, but I had a comment on a ? about AC vs. DC & I don't understand the guy that said AC is easier to start than DC.
    I would like to here some more imput on this topic.
    Thanks, John
    John

AC

I was wondering the same thing. I had always heard DC was easier to strike, and the few DC welds I have done seem to confirm that. My PowCon is 200 amp DC and it never sticks when I strike an arc. My Miller 250 amp is 34 years old though, so maybe newer AC machines strike easier?

Comment

Re: AC

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cope
      I was wondering the same thing. I had always heard DC was easier to strike, and the few DC welds I have done seem to confirm that. My PowCon is 200 amp DC and it never sticks when I strike an arc. My Miller 250 amp is 34 years old though, so maybe newer AC machines strike easier? [/QUOTAC is inherently easier to start and run because of the alternating current and you have no arc blow to contend with, arc blow being that the arc will try to lead towards the ground lead. When welding DC, it is best to use a welding table to ground the whole work piece or use multiple lead hook-ups in various areas of the work to prevent arc blow. DCRP (electrode positive) will give deeper penetration. DCSP (electrode negative) is used for hard facing or when less penetration is neede to help prevent burn through. Hope this helps
      ROCK

Comment

Working...
      X