E71T-11 example welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E71T-11 example welds

Today, I was increasing my limited experience with self shielded fluxcore wire. This time I was running a .030 E71T-11 Hobart Weld it wire on some cold rolled 12 ga. Now compared to the Hobart Fabshield 23 (E71T-GS) that I was running last weekend this wire (E 71T-11) wets out a lot quicker, which makes for a pretty quick rate of travel. Nothing I couldn t handle, I just wasnt exspecting such a difference. Anyway as usual I have a few of those annoying pictures to show you. The first one is a horizontal T joint.
    Last edited by Dan; 05-01-2009, 08:17 AM.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

This next picture is a vertical up T joint. I was really amazed at how easy it was to run this wire vertical up.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

The last picture is a flat lap joint. The beads a little fat (wide) on this one. I plan on practicing it a little more tomorrow.

PM 180C

Comment

bead motion

Dan

Now that I have a target could you tell me what direction, motion and settings you used. Since I have the same machine and wire it would be a great help to me. Thanks for the examples.
        bitternut

Comment

Re: bead motion

Originally posted by bitternut
          Dan

Now that I have a target could you tell me what direction, motion and settings you used. Since I have the same machine and wire it would be a great help to me. Thanks for the examples.
          Bitternut,

Sorry, I wasn t using my HH 175 for these welds. I was using one of my other machines. However, I would be willing to set my HH 175 with the E 71T-11 too, and try it out the first of next week. What material thicknesses are you looking for settings on? I have some 16ga , 14 ga, 12 ga. .120 wall sq tube, 1/8", & 3/16" here at the house.

For now though I can tell you that with the self shielded fluxcore wire you should pull the weld in the flat, horizontal, and over head positions. For vertical up you want to push the puddle up hill. And to be honest with you Im not really a fan of welding vertical down on a T joint until the material is 16 ga or thinner. Now Im not stating that you can t weld 14 ga or 12ga down hill too. Im just stating that I prefer to weld it up hill.

As far as a motion goes, I was just using a very slight side to side wiggle.

PM 180C

Comment

Ah welcome to the dark side gentlemen!!! Shielded flux core is what I cut my teeth on.

In the field, with a heavy wind or welding the underside of a Jeep in some of the worst positions imaginable, it's pretty forgiving. I've gotten to know this stuff well. I'm just a small-time fabricator, but for guys with smaller boxes like the 135's, it is my humble opinion that flux core will let you stretch your box a little further with a slightly hotter weld than gas shielding.

On the downside, there can be a lot of spatter and clean-up as mentioned above.
            It's all fun and games until somebody gets shot in the leg. -- Armageddon

Comment

Dan

Thanks for the advice. I really like that wire the best but being a newbie I don't have a lot to compare it with. The only other flux core wire I have used is Lincoln which doesn't seem to run as good as the Fabshield. My problem has been finding the Fabshield in .035" diameter. Most of my welding so far has been on 1/8" to 1/4". I have a bottle of gas ( 75/25 ) but don't use it much as most of my welding is done outside on structural type steel. Thanks again.
              bitternut

Comment

Working...
              X