Flattening vertical mig beads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flattening vertical mig beads

I am currently trying to perfect getting flatter mig beads doing uphill vertical. I’m welding with solid wire on 1/8 steel. Any tips for getting flatter beads?

Interesting enough Jody at Welding Tips and Tricks, suggested welding down hill, pulling the beat in a triangle motion... Works decently enough for me as amature bubble gummer,,,

http://weldingtipsandtricks.com

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

A genuine pause on the sides, watch the puddle behind the tip. Some folks do kind of a sweep/turn on the sides thinking they are doing a pause. It takes heat to get the puddle to wick over there. Take some time to try watching what the puddle does when you do differing things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
        A genuine pause on the sides, watch the puddle behind the tip. Some folks do kind of a sweep/turn on the sides thinking they are doing a pause. It takes heat to get the puddle to wick over there. Take some time to try watching what the puddle does when you do differing things.
        I take to much time watching the puddle and where the arc is actually going and end up with a slow "forward motion" of weld and excessive buildup of filler material..... So don't get to obsessive about the puddle either....

Dale

Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
          ...welding down hill, ...
          My first thought. When the joint is within the capabilities of the machine, welding downhill can give you all the penetration you need, and will be a much flatter bead. For a 1/8" joint, it's what I would do.

Comment

Thank you all. Although it’s required by specifications to be an uphill weld. So I need to manage getting a flat bead in the open root. I’ve tried very close tip to the weld which helps but not flat and I’ve tried tilting my touch upward as well and neither seem to work. It just wants to do what a vertical uphill weld does and go back down. It has to be a consistent weld. I can’t change my settings at all as these are all specications.

Comment

Originally posted by Keenan g. View Post
              Thank you all. Although it’s required by specifications to be an uphill weld. So I need to manage getting a flat bead in the open root. I’ve tried very close tip to the weld which helps but not flat and I’ve tried tilting my touch upward as well and neither seem to work. It just wants to do what a vertical uphill weld does and go back down. It has to be a consistent weld. I can’t change my settings at all as these are all specications.
              I would focus on increasing travel speed, varying contact-to-work distance, and staying in the upper part of the puddle, if you haven't already tried this.

Comment

Working...
              X