help with settings for MM 175 and ER70S-6 Solid Mig Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with settings for MM 175 and ER70S-6 Solid Mig Wire

Ok gang...got another one I need some help on. The settings on the inside panel call for 10/70 using ER70S-6 for 035 solid mig wire and the gas is 80/20 and I was welding 1/4 inch mild steel. I tried this but I had trouble controling it. The weld was very high. I made a send run only went faster. This helped to lay the bead flatter. This did not pass the destructive test. One slam with the hammer broke the weld. I could see that I had gotten less that 25% penetration. Next I ground off the welds and tried again. I turned down the wire speed first to 60 and left the voltage at 10 (the weld on the far left). This bead was still high. The second and third are welds done with the the wire speed at 50 and voltage still at 10. Still not good. Any suggestions. I tried to maintain the 1/2 inch stick out. The metal had been grinded clean. I did not V the joint. I pushed the weld with a slight tilt so the gun was about 15 degress to the front of the weld.

God I love this welder. Now I just need to get my technique down.

Thanks All

Bob
    Short Term Memory GONE!!
    Hobby Weldor/Machinist
    Photobucket Shop Pics

Dan...this one is for you..

Oh...BTW all. I discoverd if I set the controls all the way down then I could purge the gas without feeding wire.
    Short Term Memory GONE!!
    Hobby Weldor/Machinist
    Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

purge

I would still check with the dealer or a service center for help with a purge switch. Might even be able to get a purge/wire feed two way setup. I had a Millermatic 130XP for a coupel of weeks when I lucked up on my PowCon. Luckily I was able to sell it for what I paid for it. The 175 is a perfect home shop machine.

Comment

Re: purge

Originally posted by cope
        I would still check with the dealer or a service center for help with a purge switch. Might even be able to get a purge/wire feed two way setup. I had a Millermatic 130XP for a coupel of weeks when I lucked up on my PowCon. Luckily I was able to sell it for what I paid for it. The 175 is a perfect home shop machine.
        Thanks Cope, I did that today when I picked it up. The guy said to just not worry about the purge. Not real sure this was good advice. So far I see no mention of it in the owners manual either. I am wondering if they intend for you to be able to turn everything down so the wire doesn't move for a purge.

Bob
        Short Term Memory GONE!!
        Hobby Weldor/Machinist
        Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

wire speed

Bob, I would try setting the wire speed between 9 and 11 o'clock, starting at 10 o'clock. Then work with the voltage control to fine tune.

Comment

Re: help with settings for MM 175 and ER70S-6 Solid Mig Wire

Originally posted by deere_x475guy
            Ok gang...got another one I need some help on. The settings on the inside panel call for 10/70 using ER70S-6 for 035 solid mig wire and the gas is 80/20 and I was welding 1/4 inch mild steel. I tried this but I had trouble controling it. The weld was very high. I made a send run only went faster. This helped to lay the bead flatter. This did not pass the destructive test. One slam with the hammer broke the weld. I could see that I had gotten less that 25% penetration. Next I ground off the welds and tried again. I turned down the wire speed first to 60 and left the voltage at 10 (the weld on the far left). This bead was still high. The second and third are welds done with the the wire speed at 50 and voltage still at 10. Still not good. Any suggestions. I tried to maintain the 1/2 inch stick out. The metal had been grinded clean. I did not V the joint. I pushed the weld with a slight tilt so the gun was about 15 degress to the front of the weld.

God I love this welder. Now I just need to get my technique down.

Thanks All

Bob
            Bob,

Your first problem is your joint design. You need to bevel the edges of your material. Your weld metal is piling because It has no were to go. Even if your holding a gap between the two parts a square edge butt joint on 1/4" material shouldn t be welded with short circuit transfer. Now on 1/4" flatbar , I prefer to bevel the material from both sides,and leave about a 1/16" land. Also, the recommended setting will probably be to high for this joint design. To be honest with you I have very seldom found a machine that I liked the recommended settings on. I have never ran one of these machines but Im curious to see what the 6 and 55 settings would produce on this joint design when it is properly prepared. Also, on 1/4" material with short circuit transfer most times ,but not always, I prefer to pull the weld bead.
            MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
            Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Thanks Dan I will try that this evening when I get home.

Bob
              Short Term Memory GONE!!
              Hobby Weldor/Machinist
              Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Originally posted by deere_x475guy
                Dan...this one is for you..

Oh...BTW all. I discoverd if I set the controls all the way down then I could purge the gas without feeding wire.
                Bob
                Thats funny, you used the little red box to make a nice home for your new blue Millermatic 175. By the way, were is that red box at now?
                MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by Dan

Bob
                  Thats funny, you used the little red box to make a nice home for your new blue Millermatic 175. By the way, were is that red box at now?
                  Dan, I was going to put it on ebay but thought I would take it back to the box store I bought it from first to see what they had to say about it. They took it back no questions asked. I did point out Lincoln had advertised it on the box as being a 5/16" machine, then on the inside cover it never mentions 5/16" just up to 1/4". The owners manual refers you to the info on the inside of the case and later I found a pdf online from Lincoln that says you can only weld up to 3/16" unless you use multipass to get to 5/16". I thought that was pretty misleading and emailed Lincoln for an explanation and never heard back from them. I was very disappointed. I at least would have liked a response. I did do some research before buying and figured a machine that did 1/4" Would work just fine but wanted to stay away from multipass. I guess I should have gone to a distributor in the first place. These guys at BOC really know how to take care of the customer. Will took me there on Tuesday morning and I was really impressed with the help and knowledge they had. I could have bought either the Lincoln 175 or the MM 175.

Bob
                  Short Term Memory GONE!!
                  Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                  Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Originally posted by aweaver
                    How long had you had it when you returned it? I have to assume it was an orange box.

Aaron
                    Aaron it was 31 days total.
                    Short Term Memory GONE!!
                    Hobby Weldor/Machinist
                    Photobucket Shop Pics

Comment

Only time I purge is when setting regulator during setup. I use quick release drive roller to purge. Turning down wire feed is handy and ok too. Often do test weld setting up welder which gets gas to torch.

I once calculated volume of gas between regulator and welder in 1/8 inch 10ft long hose.
                      r squared X 3.1416 X length (inches) = 5.8 cubic inches times about 3 if at 30 psi. = 17.4 cubic inches

Lets assume gas hose in mig 10 ft electrode lead is 3/16" with 1/8 inch liner and wire combo. = 13.26 cubic inch - 5.8 cubic inch = 7.7 cubic inch in that hose.

I think purge is more not to cut and toss wasted wire.

Comment

Working...
                      X