metals of different thicknesses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metals of different thicknesses

I am going to modify a luggage rack for my dual purpose motorcycle by moving the turn signal brackets inward. The rack appears to have been made with tubing that is about 16-18 gauge. The pieces I will be installing to hold the turn signals will be either 16 ga or 1/8" steel. I need a little bit of stiffness so the bracket won't bend in a fall on the trail (I have been known to do that occasionally). What would be the best technique for welding two pieces of different thicknesses together? Thanks , Tim. Also to Rocky D., I took your advice and switched to .035 wire and it really made a difference. Here's a fillet weld on 1/8" scrap

what size wire were you using before ? and what kind of welder are you using ?

- jack

Comment

When welding on steels of different thickness always keep heat directed more so on the heavier gauge and wash onto the thinner one.

J P Streets Welding
      Jerry Streets
      J P Streets Welding LLC

Comment

Re: metals of different thicknesses

Originally posted by Tim135
        Also to Rocky D., I took your advice and switched to .035 wire and it really made a difference. Here's a fillet weld on 1/8" scrap

Really nice, Tim! Looks like you got it!

Comment

wire size and welder

Jack, I am using a Hobart Handler 135 and was using .030 flux core wire. Now I am using .035 flux core wire.

Comment

fillet weld

Thanks, Rocky. I will submit some lap and butt welds later on for your perusal, Tim.

Comment

welding different material sizes

You know, I really should learn to put all my replies in one post, but I'll get it eventually. Jerry, thanks for the advice, Tim.

Comment

Working...
              X