Gas types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas types

I was wondering if I used Stargon on stainless steel would it or could it eventually rust. Just picked up a tank to try and compare it to C-25 on mild steel as far as spatter goes, and I do have a stainless job coming up or should I stay with the A1025 mix of helium, argon, CO2 which I know will do the job right.

So two concerns
    1) stainless st. gas
    2) spatter : which is better stargon or C-25 ? The part I weld for customer is very hard to get into where I have to push the weld and the wire stick out becomes kinda long or longer than I like, hard area to see and get into. Its just fixtured that way and can't change it
    Jerry Streets
    J P Streets Welding LLC

Re: Gas types

Originally posted by Jerry
    I was wondering if I used Stargon on stainless steel would it or could it eventually rust. Just picked up a tank to try and compare it to C-25 on mild steel as far as spatter goes, and I do have a stainless job coming up or should I stay with the A1025 mix of helium, argon, CO2 which I know will do the job right.

So two concerns
    1) stainless st. gas
    2) spatter : which is better stargon or C-25 ? The part I weld for customer is very hard to get into where I have to push the weld and the wire stick out becomes kinda long or longer than I like, hard area to see and get into. Its just fixtured that way and can't change it
    I don't remember the formula for Stargon, but A1025 is all I ever use on stainless GMAW. Control spatter with anti-spatter spray.

Comment

Stargon is 75Ar/25CO2, Stargold is AR, CO2 and O. You can weld stainless with the Stargon if you are only making a single pass. The CO2 will affect the corrosion resistance of multipass welds in the short circuit mode. Keep the stickout as short as possible. Something for you to consider is dual shield flux cored stainless wire. This will use the same 75/25 gas that your bare wire mig uses and gives a superb looking weld. I no longer use short circuit mig for stainless. I either GTAW it or flux core. Also, if you are doing a CJP weld, you will need either copper backing or an Argon purge.
      Respectfully,
      Mike Sherman
      Shermans Welding

Comment

Working...
      X