Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Material called Freemax

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Material called Freemax

    In the tool welding process, what rod is used in the welding or build up of free-max steel. I believe it is a free machining material.
    I think you use a flame hardening rod any one know for sure. Also what temp. to bring up to when welding.
    Jerry Streets
    J P Streets Welding LLC

  • #2
    Re: Material called Freemax

    Originally posted by Jerry
    In the tool welding process, what rod is used in the welding or build up of free-max steel. I believe it is a free machining material.
    I think you use a flame hardening rod any one know for sure. Also what temp. to bring up to when welding.
    That sounds like a trade name...can you find an ASTM # or ASME, or MIL-Spec number for it? (i.e. T-1 tooling plate)

    Comment


    • #3
      Free-max

      Yes Free-Max is a trade name and I called a couple steel companies already to try and find out where this comes from and get some welding info on. I haven't welded on this yet as far as a die-mold goes, but a potential customer said they use 4140 and Free-max for most of their die building. I have not come across anybody else using free-max in the tool & die field yet.
      Jerry Streets
      J P Streets Welding LLC

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Free-max

        Originally posted by Jerry
        Yes Free-Max is a trade name and I called a couple steel companies already to try and find out where this comes from and get some welding info on. I haven't welded on this yet as far as a die-mold goes, but a potential customer said they use 4140 and Free-max for most of their die building. I have not come across anybody else using free-max in the tool & die field yet.
        I do maintenance welding for a large aircraft manufacturer, and we have all sorts of alloys to deal with. I do build up and repair on hot size dies, as well as punch press dies, too. (among a myriad of other stuff). Is this a punch press or other type of press die?

        Comment


        • #5
          Free-Max

          Hello Rocky, I appreciate your trying to help me in this case.

          Like I said this is a potential new customer so not really sure exactly what their doing, but I believe it to be plastic injection or die-cast mold work, I do not think it is stamping work.

          When I get more time I'll try and call a machine shop that I know uses this material and see where they get it from.

          A little info about me I've been in the welding fabrication field for 25 years now, doing custom sheet metal fabrication, also worked maintenance for Briggs & Stratton as a Tinner, but left when it looked like all jobs were going south. Went back to old employer to only get laid off 6 years later, maybe should off stayed at Briggs anyhow recently started my own business in Slinger, Wisconsin doing tool & die welding which is dead along with some production welding for stamping company and custom fabrication for various businesses also do cast-iron repair work and aluminum welding.

          I am very pleased to find a site such as this where I can ask you guys some questions to help me through this business venture.

          Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be in touch

          ( ps already printed out info on titanium welding to keep in file )
          Jerry Streets
          J P Streets Welding LLC

          Comment


          • #6
            Welcome aboard Jerry!
            It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

            Comment


            • #7
              Seems Freemax is Carbon steel. Might want to check this link:

              http://www.southerntoolsteel.com/metals.html#carbon

              Phil

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks phil but I just called them couple hours ago, I found them on the web, also called bethleham steel, not much help though. Yes it is a carbon steel and I was told by a machine shop boss I called who believes they add sulfur to it to give metal a good machining capability, stays flat I guess, but I'll try that link.

                Thanks
                Jerry Streets
                J P Streets Welding LLC

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Jerry
                  Thanks phil but I just called them couple hours ago, I found them on the web, also called bethleham steel, not much help though. Yes it is a carbon steel and I was told by a machine shop boss I called who believes they add sulfur to it to give metal a good machining capability, stays flat I guess, but I'll try that link.

                  Thanks
                  Try this:

                  http://www.simcoxgrinding.com/inventory.htm

                  This is what they say "Freemax 15: 1/4" to 8" - This material is a low carbon, high manganese with high sulfur for maximum machineability."

                  And check this one out (FM15 is mentionned):


                  http://www.alro.com/steelguide_carbplt10.htm


                  Good luck!
                  Last edited by Phil; 12-17-2002, 01:44 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks phil I'll check out the site.
                    Jerry Streets
                    J P Streets Welding LLC

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is what I learned in my tool and die classes about Freemax.

                      It is standard carbon steel but free of junk recycled material. When doing machining on standard plate steel, there is a chance there could be an old tap, drill bit, etc in the steel which causes havoc when you need a hole where there's this old hardened material. Freemax was created to not allow hardened steel into the manufacturing process to create a consistant hardness of steel. As far welding it, I don't know of any reason any special materials or processes would be required to weld on it.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X