Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q for Rocky D

Rocky D (or others),
    I have been looking for the Tri-Mix TIG electrode that is mentioned from the post below with no luck. Do you know a brand name or manufacturer for these? I have tried a couple of local suppliers but none of them seem to know about it. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Will
    What kind of rod is everyone using for steel? Pure tunsten? 2% thorium? or something else? I know there are advantages (and disadvantages) to each. I have been using 2% thorium on steel, but only because that is what the books say to use. Thoughts? Recommendations?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Rocky D
    I've used 2% Thoriated for years, but now they tell me they are harmfull The tungsten I now use is called a Tri-Mix. It starts easier and is not radioactive, and does good all around, on steel, stainless and aluminum. Pure tungsten has been only for aluminum, but I'm told that the tri-mix is better. The reason for so many types of tungsten is, that some do better at low heat, and some better at high heat. Lanthanated or the tri-mix are the preferred tungstens to use in the industry today. You can do a search on the internet and find out more that you ever wanted to know about tungsten, if you want.

There are 2 AC/DCEN/DCEP all purpose electrode, first is the EWCe-2 (orange band) with 2%ceria. UNlike Thoria, Ceria is not radioactive. And then there is EWLa-1 (black band) with 1%lanthanum oxide. EWLa-1 has similar advantages and operating characteristic to the EWCe-2 electrode.

As far as brand name/manufacturer, I cant help you out. I usually just go to the local welding supply shop and they always have a few readily available on hand so I never had to ask who the manufacturer etc.
    Hobart Handler 135
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller "Captain America" Big Window Elite Helmet

Comment

Will here's where we get Tri-mix tungsten:

http://www.diamondground.com/diamond...soverview.html

Comment

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Comment

Working...
        X