Titanium welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium welding

This is a shot of a GTAW welded .040" plate welded by one of our best weldors. This guy welds consistantly like this every time.

This is the advantage we, who work in factories, have when we can watch someone real good, and then try to emulate him. I was real fortunate in that I learned from some great weldors. (and got paid for it!)

So, you new folks, if you can, find someone who will let you watch for a while, then copy what he does. You will save yourself a lot of headaches, and frustration.

This is the welded side

Comment

I could do that...NOT
      Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
      The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Rocky,
        Great welds, are they two separate welds? Or one weld showing top and bottom? If top and bottom, did he go over the bottom one separately or does the top weld cause that to happen Magically on the bottom side?
        It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

Originally posted by Al T.
          Rocky,
          Great welds, are they two separate welds? Or one weld showing top and bottom? If top and bottom, did he go over the bottom one separately or does the top weld cause that to happen Magically on the bottom side?
          The latter is true...it's the same plate...top view and bottom view, is as welded. Pretty isn't it?

Comment

"Pretty isn't it?"

Makes one almost want to buy a weld like that and bolt it into a project. Was that done flat? Hard imagine that control of molten metal.

I think when Rocky D names someone "one of our best weldors" they have to be really good.

Was this person in the NASA "best weldor" search ... a couple months back Popular Mechanics had a write up on "the countrys best" repairing cracks in space shuttle nozzles or some such.

Pass on my respect for this persons work.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
              "Pretty isn't it?"

Makes one almost want to buy a weld like that and bolt it into a project. Was that done flat? Hard imagine that control of molten metal.

I think when Rocky D names someone "one of our best weldors" they have to be really good.

Was this person in the NASA "best weldor" search ... a couple months back Popular Mechanics had a write up on "the countrys best" repairing cracks in space shuttle nozzles or some such.

Pass on my respect for this persons work.

Bob
              Yeah, this guy is good...most of our production weldors can weld that good as well. The weld was made flat...I asked him to do it to show what ti welds looked like, and that I was going to post it here. That piqued his interest!

Comment

Rocky D:
                Thanks for the pics and the advice. I just finished a TIG class at the local JVS - a good place to look for someone to watch! As a hobby welder I waited 40 years before taking a class. I should have taken the class 30+ years ago! I will be returning to the JVS for more fun.
                I wish you and all the folks on this site happy holidays.
                John

Comment

Purging gas

Hey, Rocky I've used argon for purging a area or back side of various parts or dies and the weld penetration actually can look as good as the top welded side and it is a beautiful silvery color.

Now heres question, in titanium welding you said it can be done without the aid of a purging chamber, if one was to simply purge back side with argon will it work.

Never had to do titanium welding but I find this very interesting, and a little knowledge never hurt no one.
                  Jerry Streets
                  J P Streets Welding LLC

Comment

That's incredible Rocky, thanks for clearing that up!
                    It's not an optical illusion...it just looks like one

Comment

Titanium weld must be shielded by inert gas until it is below critical temprature. Must use trailing shielding device if purge chamber isn't used. The link shows some trailing cups for sale. Can make your own. Note the screens pictured in titanium cups at link, the screens reduce turbulance helping get even shielding gas coverage about like big gas lens.

http://www.tigdepot.com/products/p5.html

Comment

Re: Purging gas

Originally posted by Jerry
                        Hey, Rocky I've used argon for purging a area or back side of various parts or dies and the weld penetration actually can look as good as the top welded side and it is a beautiful silvery color.

Now heres question, in titanium welding you said it can be done without the aid of a purging chamber, if one was to simply purge back side with argon will it work.

Never had to do titanium welding but I find this very interesting, and a little knowledge never hurt no one.
                        Not quite that simple...true the backside must be purged, as well as the top....as Roger said you can use a trailing cup, or the backhand technique, with copper hold down bars on either side of the weld joint. Hold down bars serve three purposes... to hold the part in place....to act as a heat sink....and to keep the purging gas from the torch on the weld. Our tools are made so as to do these things and we never use trailing cups, although we do have them.

Comment

Working...
                        X