first welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first welds

Well here are my first welds with my HH175 mig...i am using .030 wire and 75 / 25 gas. the steel is 1/4 inch, settings are 4 and 80 on wire speed, how do they look? do i need to get some pics that are more clear? i am pushing the weld do i need to pull? i tried to break the weld and i just ended up bending to tar outa the steel. also can i weld downward when welding vertical? or does it have to be up?
    Last edited by chrisjeep7; 12-11-2002, 07:22 PM.

here is some practice welds

Comment

one more weld

Comment

Re: first welds

Originally posted by chrisjeep7
        Well here are my first welds with my HH175 mig...i am using .030 wire and 75 / 25 gas. the steel is 1/4 inch, settings are 4 and 80 on wire speed, how do they look? do i need to get some pics that are more clear? i am pushing the weld do i need to pull? i tried to break the weld and i just ended up bending to tar outa the steel. also can i weld downward when welding vertical? or does it have to be up?
        I would like to see clearer pictures, but I can tell your traveling too fast. Let it build up a little more. Switch to .035" wire, you'll see a big difference. 1/4" is too thick a steel for .030" wire.

Other than that, it looks OK!

Comment

too fast? ok i will practice more on going slow...but it seems that when i go slow that the pool is really hard to get do what i want it to. it just seems to pile up and make a mess. if you weave wider does that make your weld stronger? or bigger osculations for that matter?

anyone have a link to some good reading on this? (or welding in general)

Comment

Go to the lincoln site. go to the training/books part of the web site and get at a minimum the book(I believe it is New Lessons in Arc Welding) it may have a II at the end of the title but not for sure I do know it is $5. If money is not much of an issue buy the Procedural handbook as well ($15). Best $20 I have ever spent and worth about 10X that in knowledge alone. The Lessons book covers about 70-80% of what the procedure book does and Honestly I like it better than the procedure book. I have been searching for these types of books for awhile and only found the most basic of info or not much practical info on what I was looking for and the books I did find were 3X as much. Anyway hope it helps. Oh and by the way, these are BOOKS not pamphlets. Don't let their cost fool you the procedure book is 800-1000 pages and the other is maybe 300-400.

Comment

Working...
            X