Aluminum MIG welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum MIG welding

Can satisfactory welds on aluminum be made using a MIG welder and a spool gun? Or is this just a fantasy used to sell spool guns. I have no experience doing this. Every one I've talked to says it's a joke and the welds I've seen are the worst ever. Can it be done satisfactorily or not? If it can be done; what are the keys for success? Thanks, Ron
    Ronald 1

Re: Aluminum MIG welding

Originally posted by Ronald 1
    Can satisfactory welds on aluminum be made using a MIG welder and a spool gun? Or is this just a fantasy used to sell spool guns. I have no experience doing this. Every one I've talked to says it's a joke and the welds I've seen are the worst ever. Can it be done satisfactorily or not? If it can be done; what are the keys for success? Thanks, Ron
    Hey Ronald, where I work we build custom grating and expansion joints using aluminum, bronze, low carbon steel and stainless and all of our welding is done with mig. Currently we use Miller extended reach wire feeders with the xp-30 gun which has a motor in it to pull the wire, but they used to use spool guns, did not like them because they only use the small spools and to heavy for 8-10 productionshifts. Just like anything else, practice practice practice.
    ROCK

Comment

Ronald, absolutely and positively you can achieve x-ray quality welds with a spool gun. Set up including wire diameter, voltage, shielding gas and finally operator skill is all it takes. Simple, right? If you post your wire type and size, your shielding gas, the equipment you are using, and the technique (as best you can) you are using, we will set you up and you will be making great welds in no time.
      Respectfully,
      Mike Sherman
      Shermans Welding

Comment

Working...
      X