rod storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rod storage

just curious about how i should store my welding rod. i currently keep them in those round plastic containers. heard stories that they should be dried in an oven or something to that effect. any input is welcome.
    thanks
    chris

weld rod

A buddy of mine told me to try to keep my welding rod dry because moisture screws up the flux. I keep mine in the same air and moisture tight tubes you mentioned and I haven't had any problems yet. Knock on my solid pine head---haha. As far as tossing them in the oven you got me. I have three buddys that make a living behind a welding mask I guess i'll have to ask them. One of them did say that if the flux gets moist it doesn't work for squat. He also said if the flux gets cracked (such as if if it gets dropped on the floor) it wont worK right either. So hopefully you will get some other replies to see what's said. Good luck C6.
    C6

Comment

Re: rod storage

Originally posted by chriswelds
      just curious about how i should store my welding rod. i currently keep them in those round plastic containers. heard stories that they should be dried in an oven or something to that effect. any input is welcome.
      thanks
      chris

AWS code requirements are to keep all stainless and E70XX electrodes in a 250 degree rod oven, and only take them out to use for 4 hours. E60XX rods don't need to be kept that hot, just dry. There is a long, technical reason for it, but most folks only need to know the 'what' and not the 'why' of it.

Like C6 said, moisture of any kind screws up the flux.

Mike Sherman gives the best explanation of it, I have ever heard, and it's right out of the book.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Rocky, Chris SMAW electrodes that end with a "5,6 or 8" are low hydrogen and must be kept at 250 F. at all times after opening the hermetically sealed container. Exposure to the atmosphere is limited to 4 hours and 9 if of the MR variety. Check out AWS D1.1, 5.3.2.1 for redrying instructions and exposure limits. Also, stainless steel are considered a type of low hydrogen and must be kept in an oven. All other electrodes should just be kept dry. If you do not have an oven, do not waste your money on E7018. Electrodes such as E6010 should never be put in an oven.
        Respectfully,
        Mike Sherman
        Shermans Welding

Comment

Mike Sherman

I made a rod storage cabinet out of an old metal storage cabinet. I put two ceramic light sockets on the back and run 40-60 watt bulbs(depending on what I have) in it. Is this too hot for 6011/6013/7014 rods? I am in humid Houston. TIA

Comment

Probably not. Just don't bother trying to put low hydrogen in there. It isn't hot enough for that. Most electrodes that are not low hydrogen are not affected by high humidity. Just keep them dry (no oven) and watch the ends, if they rust throw them out.
            Respectfully,
            Mike Sherman
            Shermans Welding

Comment

Working...
            X