gas question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas question

Today I welded 1/2" plate fillet welds with .045 wire. To spray weld, the chart said to use 100% CO2, but I only had stargon. Why do certain gases allow spray welding?
    chasin' the $

I dont believe you can spray weld with 100% CO2. Normally it takes a high content of Argon to get into a spray. The Argon alows the puddle to get more fluid so you can get the weld into a spray. 100% CO2 is for short arc welding. Lets see What others have to say.
    Thanks
    Dave Evans

Comment

as far as i know, dave has it right. argon is the only shielding gas that allows true spray tranfer welding. it has to do with it's ionization potential[which is a function of the arc voltage] and how tightly it constricts the arc column. you can mix other gases with argon and still spray but it takes more power. i believe i recall seeing graphs with the ratios and voltages for spray transfer but i can't put my hands on one at the moment.
      chip

Comment

Two mixes that work great for spray are 98 % AR and 2% Oxygen, and 98 % AR 2 % CO2 . Most guys like the oxy mix best, however I have used the argon CO2 mix quite extensively, and it works for me. Do a search here on "spray" , and you will find some neat pictures on a job I did a few months ago.

Comment

spray sound

What does spray transfer welding sound like comapred to globular transfer? There are many sounds associated with MIG welding compared to other processes.
          chasin' the $

Comment

Re: spray sound

Originally posted by mikeb
            What does spray transfer welding sound like comapred to globular transfer? There are many sounds associated with MIG welding compared to other processes.
            Short arc = crackle, globular = ploop, ploop, spray = hisss

Comment

Working...
            X