Advice on curva-o-matic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on curva-o-matic

Have been reading here for awhile but this is my first post here. Trying to make a "T" out of 10' thin wall pipe. First one turned out ok (with a lot of filling in) but the second cutting will have to be used as something else. Can't quite figure out how to use the tool. Thanks
    Jed

Are you refering to a curve-o-mark? If I remember right use the
    arm from the bottom upwards. It should have spring washers at the joints to help holding the correct contour. What type of problems are you having? I have a instruction book around here somewhere, let me know if I can help.

Comment

Yea, Curve-O-Mark is what it is

The one I have is for 1.5" to 18" pipe accordig to the book. But it won't mark all the way around the 10" pipe so I have to mark from both sides. Using 45 degree setting. Is this something I just have to pratice & cut up lots of pipe to learn? Thanks
      Jed

Comment

I used a curve o mark a couple of times several years ago and I think it's easier to lay out a branch the old fashion way. A common welding test in outside pipe work is a 12" on 12" inverted branch. Some places make you lay it out the old school way, a few let you use a template. If you want to lay one out by hand, as well as just about any other concievable pipe or tube joint, then buy a copy of "Blue Book of fitters...welders pattern and layout manual" by H.G. Thorsness, or, "The Pipefitters and Welders handbook" by Thomas W. Frankland. I like the blue book better but Frankland's book is easier to find.
        I think you will have better luck that way than trying to get a good layout with the curve o mark.
        Of course a template is the bestest and easiest. You can make your own, buy one, or use a computer program I hear folks have good luck with, but I've never used one.
        With a good template you will get a very close fit that only requires a small amount of fine tuning.
        What are the pieces for?

regards,
        JTMcC.

Comment

Making T's and if I can learn how will make some Y's to use to hook flexible irrigation pipe together.
          Jed

Comment

Originally posted by Jed
            Making T's and if I can learn how will make some Y's to use to hook flexible irrigation pipe together.
            After you get one really nice fitting example made, make yourself a template from it and you are all set to build several more painlessly.
            The problem with using a curve o mark, as I see it, is that the long arms just aren't rigid enough to hold the very close tolerance you need for a nice fit.

good luck,
            JTMcC.

Comment

you'll have to mark from both sides of the pipe. Looked it up in the book above 8" need to mark from both sides.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I found & ordered the Blue Book. Tomarrow I will try the curve o mark some more also.
                Jed

Comment

Working...
                X