welder trouble 135

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welder trouble 135

having trouble when welding, after a few minutes of work the wire will quit feeding thru if i take off the tip it will feed. put on new tips does the same thing again after welding. the welder will start laboring just before it quits feeding. this is only the second roll of wire in this welder

Sounds like you need to check the tip size, and make sure its compatible with your wire size. This is the only thing I can think of that would cause the feed problems, but alow it to work fine when the tip is taken off. Good luck.
    Thanks
    Gary Wolboldt

Comment

similar subject was just asked in the products page of this forum. Maybe a little more info? Like is this a new spool of wire? Did you have problems with the last spool, and are they different types/brands? Are you mig welding, or flux core welding? What is your stickout length? How old is the machine or at least how long have you had it (maybe bad history from a previous owner?) Are you new to welding? With absolutely nothing else to go on you maybe too close to your welding and getting spatter up inside the tip causing it to bind when the wire is fed through the tip. Or the tip maybe too small for the wire.

Comment

i'm using the correct tip for the wire size .030, i bought this machine new less than 2 years ago, about 3/8- 1/2" stickout, this welder performed fine until just recently, about 1/2 roll of wire left on this roll, the welding supply store was of no help on this problem. when i bought the welder it had a miller handpiece on it, i ?? the store and they said miller had bought out hobart and that was the reason for a hobart welder with a miller handpcs. i have alot of welding to do and need a welder that will perform. thanks for any ideas.

Comment

It is very odd that it would just start happening if nothing has been changed. It might be a good idea to start from the drive rollers forward. make sure they are aligned and the wire is inside the groove. also if your drive wheel tension is adjustable make sure it is not too light-it could be slipping- nor too tight-it could be crushing the wire and making it bind up in the tip. make sure that the wire guide has not been damaged some way before it goes to the gun liner. Has the liner been kinked in any way? or otherwise damaged? It might need replacing. How about the tension on the wire spool. Is it too tight? It should only be tight enough to stop the wire from unrolling once the trigger is released, any more could damage the drive motor. Try taking the tip completely off. hold the gun out to the side of the welder so you can watch how things run when you squeeze the trigger (raise the hood to the machine). do not try to strike an arc. just run some wire through it without the tip to see if it is binding anywhere behind the the tip. You may have to experiment and change one thing at a time to isolate the problem. It sounds like you are going to have to start at square one to find out what is wrong. Outside of this you might consider sending it in for servicing.

Comment

Randy...Mark has covered the remedies very well , I'm sure if you follow his ideas you will find your problem...the only thing I could add would be...there's a brake on the spool mount in the form of a spring and tension bolt, in the center of the spool hub...that could be too tight, another problem I ran across once, was a drive roller that wasn't tightened on the drive shaft, which made the wire corkscrew, as it went through the rollers....and of course the tip being oversize, will do it too.

Comment

you didn't recently switch from flux core wire to solid wire did you ? I had the same problem when I did so and didn't switch the polarity of the machine. ruined several tips pretty quick that way

- jack

Comment

Re: welder trouble 135

Originally posted by randy816
                having trouble when welding, after a few minutes of work the wire will quit feeding thru if i take off the tip it will feed. put on new tips does the same thing again after welding. the welder will start laboring just before it quits feeding. this is only the second roll of wire in this welder
                Actually I had this very same trouble with my 110v Craftsman about 6 months ago, I don't know if it was me or the way the spool was wound, but the winding was like entwined under another winding....chunked the spool, bought another, has been working perfect since.
                ROCK

Comment

Had to take the welder into the repair shop. The voltage reg. went bad and also ruined some other parts. Good thing the warranty was still good. The reg. was putting out way too much voltage. Randy

Comment

RANDY.......DID YOU GET YOUR MACHINE BACK YET.........HOPE EVERYTHING IS UP AND RUNNING OK NOW........SORRY ABOUT YOUR PROBLEM'S WE DON'T HAVE TO MANY WITH THAT UNIT....... HOPE YOU DOING BETTER NOW...............THANKS...........ROCK
                    [email protected]

Comment

yes i got the welder back, i also converted it over to weld with gas, it still wants to spit and sputter after short time of welding, i wonder if some of the electical boards are still bad. maybe the welder should be replaced since it still under warranty. hard to tell what all was damaged by over output by the regulator. the repair shop was very nice and helpful. took the welder to general welding supply in martins ferry ohio. tom was a super repair person. maybe some of the damage would not show up till futher use, or even after the warranty expires. randy

Comment

RANDY816.......I DOUBT THERE IS ANY FURTHER DAMAGE TO THE UNIT, MOST REPAIR SHOPS ARE QUITE COMPITANT WITH MACHINE REPAIRS.........WE GIVE THEM TESTS..........2 THINGS COME TO MIND ARE YOU PUSHING OR PULLING THE WIRE AND HOW OLD IS THE WIRE AND HOW LONG IS YOUR STICK OUT...... WELL THAT IS 3 QUESTIONS ISN'T IT............ IF YOU WANT YOU CAN CALL THE 800 NUMBER IN YOUR MANUAL AND TALK TO MIKE, MARIE, DOUG OR KEVIN ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS........ THESE FOLKS ARE TOP NOTCH AND WILL BE ABLE TO REMEDY THE PROBLEM......................... I DOUBT IT IS ANYTHING MAJOR AT ALL..........................................EVEN WHEN THE WARRANTY RUNS OUT WERE NOT GOING TO ABANDON YOU, YOU STILL GET TO ASK FOR HELP YOU KNOW.................... EVEN AFTER I'M GONE THIS WEB SITE WILL STILL BE UP AND RUNNING.................ROCK
                        [email protected]

Comment

I dont doubt the work the repair shop did, just thought it might be a new problem from weak electrical boards damaged by the high voltage output. 1. new roll of wire 2. pulling the wire 3. 3/8- 1/2 " stickout randy

Comment

Randy It sounds like you are doing everything right. I have 2 questions. 1 Did you change the polarity over when you switched to the solid wire, If not this will cause the spitting and spatter and will never weld right. 2 the gas you are using C02 will cause more spatter. C25 mixed gas will weld smoother and cause less spatter.
                            Let us know we want to keep you Happy.
                            Thanks
                            Dave Evans

Comment

yes, I switched the polarity and I'm using 75/25 gas mix. Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X