Seeing the puddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing the puddle

I just got a HH 135 and I have an auto darkening helmet with a fixed shade value of 10. I am mostly used to stick welding where the arc seems brighter and I don't have much trouble seeing how the weld is going as I am welding. I have noticed with this mig welder the arc is smaller and with flux core wire (.030) and the attendant smoke, the puddle is much harder for me to see. Would a helmet with a variable shade that would allow me to drop to, say, a #8 or #9 shade make it any easier? Also, would using a solid core wire and an Argon/Co2 mix be easier to see since there wouldn't be the smoke like you get in flux core? Any suggestions would be appreciated, Tim.

TIM THE SHADE 8 OR 9 IS KINDA LIGHT FOR ME..........TRY THIS TAKE THE NOZZLE OFF THE GUN........DON'T ACTUALLY NEED IT ON THERE FOR FLUX CORED WELDING THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO SEE THE ARCH BETTER..........BUT YOUR RIGHT STICK WELDING IS A LOT BRIGHTER THAN MIG WELDING.......YOU SHOULD GET ACUSTOMED TO IT FAIRLY QUICKLY JUST A DIFFERENT PROCESS.... ROCK............................[email protected]

Comment

A shade 10 is about right for most of HH welding range. But if your welding thinner than 18 ga. steel change to shade 9 if having problems seeing withshade 10. I have never had need to use shade 8 with MIG welder.

When buying auto darkening filter get adjustable shade model.

Comment

I use fluxcore also. I have found that I have to keep my head out of the smoke. It helps me to see where I'm going with the puddle. As Rock said, you can take the gas nozzle off, and that will help visibility. As for the solid wire, that would also help if you want to go that route.
        Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
        The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

seeing the puddle

Thanks you guys. I never thought of taking the nozzle off. That's why I come here for your help. Say I also wondered if raising the gun further from the work would help. Would this be ok with flux core wire or not?

Comment

You want to try to maintain 1/2" to 3/8" of stickout from the contact tip. Keep the heat up and the wire speed down if doing heavy stuff. The closer you keep the tip to the material to be welded, the better penetration you will get. You should be pulling the bead with the flux core wire. Good luck, and keep trying. You'll get the hang of it soon enough. Sorry if I told you a bunch of stuff you already know. Just tryin' to help.
            Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
            The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

While I'm still learning to weld using MIG I normaly had my body in upright postion slightly stooped looking over top and little to side of MIG gun. Yes tend to breath more smoke that way. When welding on project I had to view weld at strange angles: side of weld bead, frount side of weld bead. That got my head out of smoke and could see my puddle better.

I also take my nozzel off when using fluxcore. Must not touch conact tip or other electrically hot parts to work. Can get insulating cover for Lincoln weldpac torch which covers gas difuser/contact tip sides. Seems to be made out of bakalight as used for some cooking pot handles. Something like that would be nice for HH welders.

Comment

Roger, I agree. Hobart/Miller should offer this for their MIG guns. How aqbout it Rock? There are probably thousands of us out here willing to pay $4 for a flux core tip protecter that could be made for less than a dollar! If any of you have ever accidentally touched the tip to the work, you will find that a contact tip doesn't make a very good welding rod!

Comment

Working...
                X