Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do scales add strength?

Originally posted by Al T.
    Do all the scales add to the strength instead of doing a continuous bead?
    Al,

I don't think the ripples add strength. They are just a characteristic of the weld process. Different processes produce different shape weld beads with different texture. An example of this the coarseness of a 6010 weld compared to a 7018 or 6013 weld bead. In fact, I would not doubt that the ripples are in fact a stress riser during cyclical loading...
    Bill C
    "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Do scales (ripples) add strength.

That is an interesting question. At first blush, the ripples are just "art" created by oscillation, weaving, arching, triangles, or whatever.
    But are perfect "stack of nickles" welds better than uniform stingers. The "rippling" may often be needed to get good melding of the things being joined ... but does the pattern itself add strength?

A pleated structure can bend more easily than a straight one. My guess is ripples might add "toughness" (a greater ability to flex without breaking) as opposed to "rigid-ness" (a greater resistance to bending).

I am guessing here. Someone may have more insight.

Bob

Comment

The ripples in some process and stack of dimes in others are one of many indicators of weld quality. When your first learning to move a puddle with gas torch your trying for right bead profile with consistant rippels of right shape. That continues when stick welding stringer beads and when doing fancy weaves. Then on to MIG and TIG welding.

Don't think stack of dimes weld bead adds strength more than just a ripple but they sure look great when done well.

Comment

No the ripples don't add strength, but as Bob stated first, they are a result of the weld oscillation and rod deposition.

The desired result is to have them even, equally spaced like Dan has shown in his posts. I used to weld like that before I got old!

Comment

i think you have to be very careful. i believe it is susceptible to cold lap. i wish Pipewelders inc., and other other aluminum "foot pulsers" were in on this site to challenge.
          chip

Comment

CHIP.........WELL INVITE THEM TO GET ON BOARD..........DEBATE IS GOOD IF THEY HAVE INPUT........THIS IS AN OPEN FORUM NOT STRUCTURED................EVERYONE IS LEARNING (EVEN ME)..... ....................ROCK
            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X