Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Russell, straight as an arrow....well

Well, almost!

We're still working on the damage, but I have been doing a little welding at night. I have a picture, but first let me tell you about the hotstart.

I experimented with it a couple of times. I lowered the current to the point where I could hardly strike and hold an arc. Then I cranked in the hotstart. I could strike and hold everytime I tried, so I knew that it worked. I know it's not the best experiment but I wanted to try something that might show that it worked.

Fan on Demand - now this caused me some worry. I welded with it for about 15 min off and on at about 115 amps or so and it never came on. I tried again at 125 for about 15 min and nothing. I was getting worried. I felt the machine and it was only warm. I cranked it to 150 and I proceeded to write my name in a piece of plate about 20 times. All that did was set my glove on fire! I was about ready to give up on it when it finally came on for about 40 seconds and that was it. So that works.

Word of caution. Never hold your little pinky finger out like those high fallutin' people do when they drink tea. The first smoke I ever saw tig welding was from the tip of my glove. That got my attention. Good thing I have a short pinky finger!

Ok, now to the tig welds. It's nice and not as hard as I thought it would be but it's hard to make pretty and uniform welds, but I hope that will come with practice. This is a picture of three beads on some pitted steel, so it is not pretty but it will give you an idea of where I stand at this moment.

I'm still getting used to the accelerator....I mean the pedal! You also will learn to sharpen tungsten very quickly in the beginning. Once you touch the tungsten to the puddle or the rod, it all goes to **** in a handbag. And you have to resharpen it.

I think that the 1410 for the machine plus the Speedglass would be a good way to go. Then you could use your new machine and your wife's Speedglass to make a cart to your liking.

Take care, Russell. My tractor has a magneto and no computer! Easy to work on!

Here is the picture

Comment

Russell, on the tungsten, I just followed the diagrams in the Miller GTAW book. I hold it on the face of the grinding wheel and grind a bit, then turn a bit, grind a bit, then turn a bit. But I have also just put it on the face of the wheel and twirled it. I'm not good enough to note the difference. But I wouldn't put it on the side of the wheel and twirl it because then the grinding marks would be perpendicular to the length of the tungsten and they say that your arc will wander like a drunk on a bike. For aluminum, I just strike the arc and let it form a ball on the end of the pure tungsten. Takes a few seconds.

Thanks for the tip on the acetone. I will try it next time on the same steel!

I'll bet there is about 80 lbs of weld bead on the mower deck alone and none of it in the same spot! Last time it broke, I cussed for 15 minutes and never said the same cuss word twice. It was in a bad spot at a bad time.

I just had to try some aluminum! This is .075" aluminum and as you can see, I need a bit more practice....

Comment

I'll try again....

Comment

I tried to show the penetration that I got, but those fingers would make a dermatologist happy....Please disregard the fingers and thumb!

Comment

Russel, I forgot to comment on the 9000 Speedglas. I would think that Rocky D would know his stuff on it. Have you given thought to the cart you would make for the 180? Or would you just leave it in one spot? I saw this in the Miller site and I'm thinking about something along these lines.....

Comment

Well, Russell, I'm still using the 150 amp, but I have the 125 ready to go. By the way, the Miller GTAW book is packed with the 180, so don't do like I did and buy one. Now I have two!

I did see the thread about spinning it in the drill and I sorta like that. The other thing was a gizmo gadget that held it pretty precisely against the wheel. I'm going to try the drill method to see if there is a difference that I can see.

No actual plans for one yet. But the wheels are turning. When I first started, I was forgetting about the pedal. Now I can think about it more and experiment with it. Dan and Rocky D have both given me excellent tips to try. I can't remember breathing, now that you've mentioned it.

The only thing I used on the aluminum was a stainless steel brush and then wiped it with a dry rag. I'll have to look for the thread that had that info in it about cleaning the aluminum.

Let me know when you get the machine. I was pretty excited when I got mine.

Comment

Glad to see you're having fun with the 180, Mow. The aluminum looks great! Use acetone on it. too, before weld, and you can wire brush it while running water over it after...or not. Don't forget to turn the gas off when you're done, or you'll find some more cuss words!

Comment

Working...
                X