welding on farm tractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding on farm tractors

what do you welders do when welding on the newer electronic/computerized tractors? do you disconnect the battery or perhaps attach a static electricity ground strap to protect the sensitive electronic system? such a case would be welding on a loader bucket or maybe a rear hitch and my real concern would be if something electronic got damaged by the welding ground return path. i assume most of the electronics are very similiar to modern automobile specs and therfore extremely sensitive to voltage spikes. any ideas?

The way it was explained to me was to keep the ground of what ever device you are using ( welder, plasma cutter, etc.) as close to the work as possible, this keeps errant voltage and static "noise " away from the computer(s).

The biggest thing to remember, just as with bearings, do not let working current travel thru any wiring to complete the working ground path.

IE, don't weld on the body when the ground clamp is on the frame, as when welding on your tractor, don't clamp ground to boom to weld on the bucket ( as an example )

I regularly use a plasma cutter on NEW trucks, though I am usually well away from the electronics I make sure the ground is as close as possible.

HTH
    Kevin

Comment

i suppose what i am most concerned with is having to pay a shop to track down an electronics/computer problem that COULD be the result of an errant static electrical charge or from stray voltage. there seems to be a lot of "scare" stories out and about nowadays with all the sophisicated electronics. i was just trying to find out if anyone other than me was concerned or aware of this particular problem and any possible solutions. i know if i were welding on something that was computer contolled i would be very cautious. too bad it's not like the "good ol' days" when we did have to worry about this type of equipment.

Comment

Russell, did you order your 180 yet? I've been quite busy lately, but I still get to play with it about every other night. I have to say it is fun to play with. As soon as I can get home in the daylight hours, I'll clean up some more practice pieces of steel and make a few beads on it and post some pics so the whole website can get a good laugh!

But who cares as long as I'm having fun!

Comment

Re: welding on farm tractors

Originally posted by haybine
          what do you welders do when welding on the newer electronic/computerized tractors? do you disconnect the battery or perhaps attach a static electricity ground strap to protect the sensitive electronic system? such a case would be welding on a loader bucket or maybe a rear hitch and my real concern would be if something electronic got damaged by the welding ground return path. i assume most of the electronics are very similiar to modern automobile specs and therfore extremely sensitive to voltage spikes. any ideas?
          As long as you unhook both pos. and neg. from battery you are ok, with both unhooked, the quad drivers in the computer are in the open position[the quad drivers control the ground connections to a circuit ie. injectors, VSS, IAC valve etc].
          ROCK

Comment

Working...
          X