Mig Welding??Push OR Pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig Welding??Push OR Pull

I was mig welding some 3/16 mild steel today,and i usually use sort of a dip or a weave motion pulling away from left to right,and a friend of mine stoped buy and he told me to try pushing and i did with a weaving motion and it seemed to work very nicely,it seemed to penatrate more so and the bead layed down sort of concave.Up till today i always thought pushing would result in shallower penatration..
    Whats the scoop on this,,
    thank much,,,jim

http://www.youtube.com/jimcaf57

Re: Mig Welding??Push OR Pull

Originally posted by jimcaf
    I was mig welding some 3/16 mild steel today,and i usually use sort of a dip or a weave motion pulling away from left to right,and a friend of mine stoped buy and he told me to try pushing and i did with a weaving motion and it seemed to work very nicely,it seemed to penatrate more so and the bead layed down sort of concave.Up till today i always thought pushing would result in shallower penatration..
    Whats the scoop on this,,
    thank much,,,jim

Hey Jim, you are correct in that pushing decreases penetration assuming wire speed and stickout is the same, it may appear to have more pentration do to the shallow bead.....if you ever weld aluminim, you do have to push to keep the shielding gases ahead of the puddle.
    ROCK

Comment

Working...
    X