What do you think of this info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this info?

This is a discussion on another board. Is it correct?

:--weld----weld---\ torch in this direction is pushing , and like mentioned above it produces a LESSER penetrating weld compared to Pulling. Push is great for 16g 18G , and thinner. In this position you can see really well. Of course thickness limits are mainly type of project etc.

-------weld-------/ Pulling- this position does produce more penetration. It is slightly harder to see the puddle.

For clarification all info above is for welds NOT I repeat NOT in the vertical position.

For vertical only if you travel up , and you are pushing you will put more heat down & more penetration.

If you go vert down (MIG only) , and you pull then you get less heat & penetration.

It is a universal thing when talking about MIG only that push & pull are talked about in the flat or horizontal position so this is why once in awhile you'll get someone who does know what there talking about BUT will forget that we are usally talking about "things welded flat & horizontal" , and they say No No push is a more pen weld but they are really talking about Vertical only. Hope I explained myself clearly.

To others who replied:

HARD WIRE is NOT always push! If you have real facts lets see them otherwise you just gave ****ty advise.

Dont worry about torch maniplulation IE half moons it is not a good habit to do it just becuase you should have a real reason for doing this if you do.

I agree with what 66dean says. to cure it - dont exit you weld so quickly.

Others talked about the toes if you dont know its the outer edges of you weld , and YOU need to make sure that your torch is very close to 45 degrees to the joint to get your weld to have equal toes.

The rest of the discussion is here:
    Clicky Clicky
    AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
    Miller MM210--now X2
    Hypertherm 380
    Miller autodark hood

Zach, where did you get your information on penetration of short circuit mig in reference to direction of travel? I would like to review it.
    Respectfully,
    Mike Sherman
    Shermans Welding

Comment

ZACH, I SEE YOU CRUISE THE PIRATE BOARDS TO EH?
      Last edited by FIXXXXAH; 11-03-2002, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sherman
        Zach, where did you get your information on penetration of short circuit mig in reference to direction of travel? I would like to review it.
        Mike, that is not "my" info. I posted an excerpt from another discussion to see if the statement was accurate.

Actually, I thought it was the other way around and that for best results with MIG it is recommended to push the puddle. Just wondering what is correct.
        AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
        Miller MM210--now X2
        Hypertherm 380
        Miller autodark hood

Comment

MIKE-
          THE THREAD IN DISCUSSION IS AT http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...threadid=92231

FROM PRIOR EXPERIENCE, "WELDPRO" KNOWS HIS SH*T, AND THERE IS A REFRENCE TO A NAVY WELDING MANUAL.

MATT
          Last edited by FIXXXXAH; 11-03-2002, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Matt, yeah I cruise POR pretty often and post where I think I can help. Just bought my "star" also.

I posted this thread to see how it jived with some of the dignitaries here. It would be nice to know if dragging gives good penetration on stuff like 1/8" and up. Or is pushing inheritently better?
            AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
            Miller MM210--now X2
            Hypertherm 380
            Miller autodark hood

Comment

Originally posted by ZACHV
              Matt, yeah I cruise POR pretty often and post where I think I can help. Just bought my "star" also.

I posted this thread to see how it jived with some of the dignitaries here. It would be nice to know if dragging gives good penetration on stuff like 1/8" and up. Or is pushing inheritently better?
              What that dude said on that forum, is in line with the Miller GMAW book....as a matter of fact, when I saw pictures of the penetration, pull vs push, I was surprized. I always push, except for downhand, (downhill) welds. I have done many weld tests in my years, and have never even considered pull welding. For me, it's too difficult to see the root, and control undercut, not to mention porosity, and bead appearance. I'm either straight on or pushing..........weld>........\, or /.....<weld.....
              I have seen many times, my welds destructive tested, and they don't break....that's what really gives you confidence in your welding.
              All that said....I do use pulling in certain situations, like in a close corner, but not as a rule.

Comment

Several weeks ago I meet a friend of friend who is a professional weldor at this place in Alabama (http://www.ggsteel.com/) and he welded some cast steel for me on a big old Miller machine using DC with nickel rods. Well, like Rocky, everything he did he pushed the weld.

Later that day we were eating dinner and I was discussing welding with him and his technique of "pushing" went against all the heresay I'd heard of pushing vs. pulling. He went on to explain that probably 99% of the time he pushed his welds.
                And explained how much more control you have over the weld when pushing. He said that pulling the weld generally produces a taller weld and that pushing generally produces a flatter weld due to the direction of deposition of fill metal with the direction of travel. He explained alot more but that's a brief synopsis.

So, several weeks have gone by since then and I've welded alot, some pulling but mostly pushing, after I'd practiced a bit and got the hang of it. I must say that I can see SO much better and have so much more control over the weld puddle it's amazing.

just thought I'd share my experience, which was quite educating and enlightening to say the least! I'd read this thread and others about pushing/pulling but had never given a though to ever trying it because everyone I'd learned from used the pulling technique.

weld on ...

- jack
                Last edited by morpheus; 01-15-2003, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Rocky,
                  Is pushing OK for all of the processes? I recall reading a lot of texts that say pull except for thin metal, but just started welding classes at the local CC and instructor said push/pull doesn't matter, the weld does. Pull comes naturally to me just like using my right hand because I'm right handed, but I guess I'll have to try push some time. Thanks in advance.

Dave H

Comment

Personally, I agree with the US Navy. But hey that's me. Here's how it works out. Weld however you're comfortable with. Being comfortable with the momvement makes a better bead. You'll also never get a concensus amongst weldors about this. Ever.

Comment

Here, I got an idea try pulling a aluminum mig weld.That is only one example.I did have to pull alot with my first little Miller 130.Its the only way I could get it to work.The later one I went back to push,for most things.

Comment

For flux core, I notice that it is hard to see the puddle when you are pushing, but easier to see when pulling, also the slag kinda slides off to the sides of the weld pushing...and pulling, it seems to cover the weld better, sorta like stick. The penetration is different with the two methods, too. Which is better?....Let your results tell the tale.

Like dysfunction says, ya gotta be comfortable to weld good.

Comment

Working...
                        X