Hoping for guidance

Ref:
    HH-135
    V-setting: 1
    Wire Sp: 10
    Wire solid .023
    Gas: C25 mix
    Day: Friday

Practicing on sheet metal. Three strips of 1x2"; 22 guage welded together. Flat position, butt seams and "beads on solid".

The first attached pix (I hope) shows the weld side. The second the back side. Lots of sag and some burn thru.

Hoping for some instruction on this. It seems very hard to control.

Some of the better looking beads were just on the base metal (not an actual seam) ... get the distance right, pull the trigger, and move quite fast. Good for practice, but if it were a real seam this could easly stray to one side or the other and leave gaps or weak spots

Wondering, if I turn up the wire speed, would I get a more "piled on top" and less sag thru ... or more heat and more burn thru.

all inputs welcomed ... except, I guess, you need a different welder.

Bob

back side

Comment

They are kinda hard to see because they are so small. Any chance to resize them?
      AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
      Miller MM210--now X2
      Hypertherm 380
      Miller autodark hood

Comment

Bob

You don't mention what length stick-out you are using. It can make a difference when dealing with the thin stuff. Try backing off to an inch or better and tinkering with wire speed. Keep practicing and you'll get it. One of the hardest things I learned was doing the thin stuff.

PS Your welder is plenty...You don't need another one as long as this one works
        Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)
        The Next Loud Noise You Hear Is Me!

Comment

Arbo,
          I was using about 1/4" stick out. Works OK to around 1/2". Beyond that the snap and pop at start up gets pretty ugly. More wire helps some. The answer is probably practice. Now making OK looking "attachment" of sheet metal, but a long way from a leak proof seam.
          Thanks,
          Bob

Comment

Working...
          X