Tig setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig setup

So now that I am saving a few extra quid for the footpedal and approprate tig machinery, there is a question about argon regulators. I am being offered a single gague that shows pressure or a much more expensive (this is the UK we are talking about) regulator with a glass tube and a 'floaty ball' inside it. I presume that the expensive set up isn't for my entertainment but provides more accurate setting of flow?
    shaky

SHAKEY..............FOR MIG WELDING I PREFER GAUGES WITH PRESSURE GAUGES THE DUAL TYPE. PRESSURE IN THE BOTTLE AND PRESSURE COMMING OUT TO THE TORCH...........AH BUT FOR TIG I PREFER THE FLOW GAUGE.................PROABABLY BECAUSE I'M NOT A GOOD ALUMINUM TIG WELDER ( DON'T PRACTICE ENOUGH) AND I CAN WATCH MY ARGON (FOR MY ALUMINUM) JUST DISAPPEAR AT THE END OF THE TORCH. THAT TELLS ME HOW MUCH MONEY I'M SPENDING ON MY ALUMINUM PROJECT...... HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION FROM MY POINT OF VIEW...... I'M ACTUALLY NOT A BAD ALUMINUM TIG WELDER JUST DON'T GET ENOUGH PRACTICE.................BE SAFE OUT THERE.......ROCK
    [email protected]

Comment

Shaky,
      The little ball gauge is a flow meter and it is very convenient to have, but it shouldn't be more than about 4 quid (~$30). If you don't want to spend that much, you can just calibrate the flow at a given pressure setting. Fill a 1 L bottle with water and invert it in a bucket. Stick the argon hose (not the torch) in the bottle and count how many seconds it takes to fill the bottle. Shoot for 12-15 seconds or 4-5 liters per minute and then don't fool with the pressure setting.

Comment

Working...
      X