Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another torch question!?!?

hey all

i too have recently bought a small oxy/acet torch outfit. i seem to be getting the hang of it - i.e. can cut fairly well 1/4" and even 3/4" steel - and i stress "fairly" well [need some more practice].

my question relates to cutting thin metal. i am trying to cut a few designs into some 14ga sheet metal. i knew that my 0-tip would probably be too much of a tip, so i went to get a 000-tip. the shop only had a 00-tip so thats what i came home with. according to my crappy instruction booklet, a 00-tip can handle up to 1/4" steel [which it did, very well]. but when i try it on the 14ga sheet, i couldnt reall "cut" the sheet. i guess the metal was getting too hot and the puddle was melting back together over my cut.

am i just wasting my time here trying to cut 14ga, or do i need a smaller tip? my oxygen pressure was set at about 20 and the acetylene[sp?] at about 4-5.

the design i am going for is not intricate by any means, basically just a few wavy lines. so hopefully i wont be needing a plasma cutter!!!

-Carl

Re: Another torch question!?!?

Originally posted by outraged
    hey all

i too have recently bought a small oxy/acet torch outfit. i seem to be getting the hang of it - i.e. can cut fairly well 1/4" and even 3/4" steel - and i stress "fairly" well [need some more practice].

my question relates to cutting thin metal. i am trying to cut a few designs into some 14ga sheet metal. i knew that my 0-tip would probably be too much of a tip, so i went to get a 000-tip. the shop only had a 00-tip so thats what i came home with. according to my crappy instruction booklet, a 00-tip can handle up to 1/4" steel [which it did, very well]. but when i try it on the 14ga sheet, i couldnt reall "cut" the sheet. i guess the metal was getting too hot and the puddle was melting back together over my cut.

am i just wasting my time here trying to cut 14ga, or do i need a smaller tip? my oxygen pressure was set at about 20 and the acetylene[sp?] at about 4-5.

the design i am going for is not intricate by any means, basically just a few wavy lines. so hopefully i wont be needing a plasma cutter!!!

-Carl
    For one your pressure settings are to high. Im not guaranteeing anything but try 1 or 2 PSI on the acetylene and 5 to 10 PSI on the oxygen.

To be honest with you an oxy/acetylene torch isn t a very good choice for cutting sheet metal . It puts so much heat into the metal that It causes quite a bit of distortion.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

hhhmmm....

yeah, thats kinda what i figured only after the fact.
      thanks dan, i'll try the lower settings and see what happens.

Comment

Re: Another torch question!?!?

hey all

-Carl
        Carl, it isn't easy cutting 14 ga with O/A, but if you angle your torch almost paralell to the metal, it will cut with no slag. Lay it down and push your cutting flame, and go fast. Perpendicular tip to metal will cause it to weld back up behind you. This method works on straight cuts...but if your are cutting circles of curves then you need a 000 and 3 Acetylene and 5 to 10 oxy...speed is important, too..you'll have to experiment on that.

Comment

Your getting into jig saw range. If your trying to cut fancy designs use bimetal metal cutting blade in jig saw or band saw. Sheet metal needs to be clamped/supported close to cut. Sometimes wood backer is needed.

Comment

Rocky D:
            i tried your suggestion and it actually worked [at least better than with my settings and torch angles]. thanks - another little tip to store away in my little budweiser infested brain!!!

Roger:
            also a good idea, but a jig saw on 14ga? [i guess that equates to about 3/32" right]. seems a little tough, but i will definately try it. i'm sure it will work better than a torch!

thanks guys!

-Outraged

Comment

Rocky D:
              i tried your suggestion and it actually worked [at least better than with my settings and torch angles]. thanks - another little tip to store away in my little budweiser infested brain!!!

Roger:
              also a good idea, but a jig saw on 14ga? [i guess that equates to about 3/32" right]. seems a little tough, but i will definately try it. i'm sure it will work better than a torch!

thanks guys!

-Outraged
              14 gauge is .078" which is a shade heavier that 1/16"

Comment

Small torch problems

I also have problems with the kerf closing behind the cut sometimes. I have the small victor torch set which is very nice except when I try to use ac. pressures below 5 psi. If I set the pressure with no flow, when I light the torch, the pressure drops by several pounds(sometimes to 0).

Anybody having trouble may want to adjust the regulator while ac. is flowing. The pressure may rise above the setpoint when you tun off the gas.

Question; would it be worth my time to dissasemble the regulator and clean it, or is this a common problem?

I have probably had less than 20 of the small tanks ran through it.

stranglehold

Comment

Re: Small torch problems

Originally posted by stranglehold
                  I also have problems with the kerf closing behind the cut sometimes. I have the small victor torch set which is very nice except when I try to use ac. pressures below 5 psi. If I set the pressure with no flow, when I light the torch, the pressure drops by several pounds(sometimes to 0).

Anybody having trouble may want to adjust the regulator while ac. is flowing. The pressure may rise above the setpoint when you tun off the gas.

Question; would it be worth my time to dissasemble the regulator and clean it, or is this a common problem?

stranglehold
                  That's typical....set your gas higher so when you open the valve it will drop down to the right pressure. You can do it before you light the torch. Your Acetylene tank should be opened 1/4 turn, and your Oxygen, several turns. Check it after you light the torch, too...if it's not at the pressure you want, adjust it. Don't disassemble the regulator!

Comment

Re: Small torch problems

Originally posted by stranglehold

stranglehold
                    You should always be setting your gas pressures as a "working" pressure, this goes for a torch regulator or a shielding gas regulator for a welder.
                    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Working...
                    X