Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

many Qs: best wire for .120 steel, settings, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• many Qs: best wire for .120 steel, settings, etc.

OK, I have been "lurking" for a while and finally registered. I want to say hi to all and thanks to the informed giving their opinions.

I have a Lincoln SP175 and am self teching myself to use it correctly. I also have one of the big Lincoln stick welders also that a buddy gave me. I am trying to MIG everything that is not too big. I will be building some items for Jeeps and want to become proficient in MIG welding on steel tube. I have seen the images describing proper oscillation and think that will help tremendously, but I have seen some people not agree with the label on the welder for the proper settings so I am wondering if their is a better guide. Next is there a place to learn the "guage to inch ratio", meaning how think is 16 guage, etc.?

Also, I have called my local vo-tech and the next welding class is not until February and would like to know what the best video or book series is to learn. Any opinions?

Thanks for all informed responses and have a great day.
    AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
    Miller MM210--now X2
    Hypertherm 380
    Miller autodark hood

Re: many Qs: best wire for .120 steel, settings, etc.

Originally posted by ZACHV
    OK, I have been "lurking" for a while and finally registered. I <<SNIP>>
    Next is there a place to learn the "guage to inch ratio", meaning how think is 16 guage, etc.?
    <<SNIP>>
    Thanks for all informed responses and have a great day.
    Try this link for sheet metal gauge...

http://www.engineersedge.com/gauge.htm

Have Fun!
    Bill C
    "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate the help.
      AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
      Miller MM210--now X2
      Hypertherm 380
      Miller autodark hood

Comment

On 1/8" (.125) and thinner material I prefer to use an .030 solid wire and 75/25 shielding gas. Actually, I ve started using it more for 3/16" material too, especially in the vertical up position.
        Last edited by Dan; 10-23-2002, 10:59 AM.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Yeah, I have .023 in there right now, but have a spool of .030 ready to be put in. I'll have to let you guys know how it comes out.
          AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
          Miller MM210--now X2
          Hypertherm 380
          Miller autodark hood

Comment

Yeah, I have .023 in there right now, but have a spool of .030 ready to be put in. I'll have to let you guys know how it comes out.
            An .030 wire on the .120 material should give you a softer more stable arc then the .023 wire. Reason being because each diameter of wire has a specific current range were short circuit transfer occurs. Once the upper limit is exceed the mode of metal transfer transitions into the spray arc range but without the proper gas and voltage capability the metal transfer is a globular.
            Last edited by Dan; 10-23-2002, 08:34 PM.
            MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
            Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

Dan, thanks for the insight. It makes sense now because the filler metal seems to "drip" into the puddle with the .023.

My next question is with the .030 wire does that change my setting on my machine, and how so? I imagine I have to up the amperage?
              AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
              Miller MM210--now X2
              Hypertherm 380
              Miller autodark hood

Comment

Dan, thanks for the insight. It makes sense now because the filler metal seems to "drip" into the puddle with the .023.

My next question is with the .030 wire does that change my setting on my machine, and how so? I imagine I have to up the amperage?
                Based on welding the same material thickness, switching from an .023 to an .030 will require you to lower the wire speed. The voltage can generally stay the same with maybe a slight amount of tweaking if the machine has an infinate voltage control. Here is an example off the parameter chart of my MM 210. Wire is E70S-6 and the gas is C25. Material thickness is 1/8".

.023- Voltage setting # 3 Wire speed - 65
                .030- Voltage setting # 3 Wire speed - 50

PM 180C

Comment

Working...
                X