Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Rock!

Hey Rock!

Major update on that Sporty project coming...

But yer gonna hafta swallow some machining added in with it.
    Should make for some interesting welding stuff though.

Seems the right hand case is cracked to the point of not really being worth fixing
    monetarily, but gonna do it anyway so the frame and case numbers stay matching.

There are at least five major cracks that start at the cam bearing holes
    and travel about 2-3 inches each and they're cracked all the way through.

It's gonna require cutting the crap outta the cases and then welding everything back solid, which
    means I'm gonna hafta re-machine all the important stuff like the cam bearing bores and pinion shaft bore.
    Some pics are already taken and more are on the way.

Stay tuned and I'll post a link when I get the page made.

Best,

Weyland

HI WEYLAND.......... DON'T FORGET THE CASES ARE ALUMINUM AND SUCK UP A LOT OF OIL........ IN THE POROS ALUMINUM...... WILL SEE YOUR UPDATE WHEN YOU POST IT..............ROCK
    [email protected] WELL ACTUALLY I'LL BET YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT DIDN'T YOU.......MAYBE NO ONE ELSE DID THOUGH..............

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Rock
      HI WEYLAND.......... DON'T FORGET THE CASES ARE ALUMINUM AND SUCK UP A LOT OF OIL........ IN THE POROS ALUMINUM...... WILL SEE YOUR UPDATE WHEN YOU POST IT..............ROCK
      [email protected] WELL ACTUALLY I'LL BET YOU ALREADY KNEW THAT DIDN'T YOU.......MAYBE NO ONE ELSE DID THOUGH..............
      LOL~!
      Yeah, I knew, but yer right, most others probably didn't.
      I stuck them in the oven at 500 degrees for a half hour, then bead blasted them to clean them, then heated them again to get ready to weld.
      Thatz when I found the HUGE cracks...
      Was really disappointed.
      Just means more work fer me though, and when I'm done, I know everything will be right.

Best,

Weyland

Comment

WILL SEE YOUR UPDATE WHEN YOU POST IT..............ROCK
        [email protected]
        Here ya go -
        http://www.varangiankindred.org/starlyng/critter2.htm

Comment

WEYLAND..........WELL IF I HAD A SET OF BLUE PRINTS I WOULD LOAN THEM TO YOU........BUT ALAIS I DO NOT........ SHE HAS BEEN ROAD HARD AND PUT AWAY WET A TIME OR TWO HASN'T SHE..... MORE THAN ONE OVER REVED MISSED GEAR........... KEEP SEARCHING OTHER FORUMS I'M SURE YOU CAN FIND SOME........ AS A MATTER OF FACT E-MAIL ME DIRECT AND I WILL GET YOU A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL AND SEE IF MAYBE HE HAS SOME LAYING AROUND......... HAVE YOU EVER DEALT WITH ANTIQUE CYCLE SUPPLY OUT OF MICHIGAN I THINK................... THIS DUDES GOT SOME ODD THINGS LAYING AROUND...................... ALSO I NEED TO CRITICIZE YOU JUST A LITTLE BIT HERE IF YOU DON'T MIND..... PLEASE TRY AND SEE IT FROM OUR POINT OF VIEW........MOST OF US OLD TIMERS CUSS AS WELL AS YOU DO AND PUT IT INTO PRINT AT TIMES......... HOWEVER CONSIDER THIS WE ALSO HAVE SOME YOUNG IMPRESSIONABLE MINDS INVOLVED HERE ALSO... READ SOME OLD FORUM'S FROM PAST DATES......... SOME KIDS STILL IN MIDDLE SCHOOLS..........ALTHOUGH IT IS SOMETHING I'M SURE THEY HAVE HEARD MANY TIMES BEFORE IT IS SOMETHING WE DON'T LIKE TO PUT INTO PRINT HERE.........SORRY JUST KEEP AN OPEN MIND HERE IF YOU DO IT THEN EVERYONE WILL WANT TO DO IT....... I REREAD YOUR ORIGINAL POST AND I MISSED SOME OF THE CUSS WORDS IN THERE THE FIRST TIME THRU... OR PERHAPS I TOOK IT AS THE NORMAL COURSE OF EVENTS...... WHICH EVER IT IS AS MUCH MY FAULT AS YOURS........ NOW TO PRAISE YOU PICTURE TAKEING CAPABILITIES.........AH I DO LIKE THE WAY IT IS LAYED OUT........... ...... WHAT KIND OF TIG MACHINE DO YOU HAVE FOR THE CASES........ I KNOW AN OLD GUY NAMED DUEY WHO HAS WELDED UP SOME (WHAT I CONSIDERED JUNK) OLD BLOWED APART CASES AND DIDN'T LEAK........ YOUR CALL............................ROCK
          [email protected]

Comment

WEYLAND..........WELL IF I HAD A SET OF BLUE PRINTS I WOULD LOAN THEM TO YOU........BUT ALAIS I DO NOT........
            No prob, Rock.
            I appreciate it, but I think I've got it nailed by mapping out the other case. Plus, I've got some other irons in the fire that might pay off as well.

SHE HAS BEEN ROAD HARD AND PUT AWAY WET A TIME OR TWO HASN'T SHE..... MORE THAN ONE OVER REVED MISSED GEAR........... KEEP SEARCHING OTHER FORUMS I'M SURE YOU CAN FIND SOME........
            Yeah, she was used and abused pretty well.
            But she's in good hands now. (:>)

AS A MATTER OF FACT E-MAIL ME DIRECT AND I WILL GET YOU A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL AND SEE IF MAYBE HE HAS SOME LAYING AROUND......... HAVE YOU EVER DEALT WITH ANTIQUE CYCLE SUPPLY OUT OF MICHIGAN I THINK................... THIS DUDES GOT SOME ODD THINGS LAYING AROUND......................
            Will do. Thanks.

ALSO I NEED TO CRITICIZE YOU JUST A LITTLE BIT HERE IF YOU DON'T MIND..... PLEASE TRY AND SEE IT FROM OUR POINT OF VIEW........MOST OF US OLD TIMERS CUSS AS WELL AS YOU DO AND PUT IT INTO PRINT AT TIMES......... HOWEVER CONSIDER THIS WE ALSO HAVE SOME YOUNG IMPRESSIONABLE MINDS INVOLVED HERE ALSO... READ SOME OLD FORUM'S FROM PAST DATES......... SOME KIDS STILL IN MIDDLE SCHOOLS..........ALTHOUGH IT IS SOMETHING I'M SURE THEY HAVE HEARD MANY TIMES BEFORE IT IS SOMETHING WE DON'T LIKE TO PUT INTO PRINT HERE.........SORRY JUST KEEP AN OPEN MIND HERE IF YOU DO IT THEN EVERYONE WILL WANT TO DO IT....... I REREAD YOUR ORIGINAL POST AND I MISSED SOME OF THE CUSS WORDS IN THERE THE FIRST TIME THRU... OR PERHAPS I TOOK IT AS THE NORMAL COURSE OF EVENTS...... WHICH EVER IT IS AS MUCH MY FAULT AS YOURS........
            <waves it off>
            Not a problem, Rock.
            I understand *completely*.
            But I must be getting too used to it, because I don't see where I cussed in the post.
            ( I _do_ see it all over the web page on our site, though. (:>) )
            I'll keep better watch over myself though...

NOW TO PRAISE YOU PICTURE TAKEING CAPABILITIES.........AH I DO LIKE THE WAY IT IS LAYED OUT........... ...... WHAT KIND OF TIG MACHINE DO YOU HAVE FOR THE CASES........ I KNOW AN OLD GUY NAMED DUEY WHO HAS WELDED UP SOME (WHAT I CONSIDERED JUNK) OLD BLOWED APART CASES AND DIDN'T LEAK........ YOUR CALL............................ROCK
            [email protected]

Well, credit where credit's due -
            I'll tell the wife. She took'm while I was working.

I also found out last night that she _did_ get pics of me repairing the fin on the cylinder, so I'll post those later. Also found some others to put up as well.

My machine is an old (emphasis on OLD) Hobart AC/DC Tig 250. I love that machine. I've got some pics of the shop I'll put up as well.

Thanks for the offer, but I wanna do this on our own. All work will be done by me-n-the wife on this one. In fact, I've already made some tooling for the job so that I don't have to send out stuff like line honing the cases and line reaming the cam cover bushings. (will be posted as well so that other people don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for tools or services)

I'm pretty **** about some things.
            One of them is that it ain't yer bike unless your blood, sweat, and tears are in it. Otherwise, yer just riding something somebody else put together.
            And anyone can do that...
            ***Note - the above is not necessarily the opinion of anyone else on this message board, only that of one individual who isn't necessarily sane to begin with...***

Comment

wEYLAND THANKS FOR HELPING AND UNDERSTANDING ON THE CURSEING.......TELL YOUR WIFE I LIKED THE SNAP SHOTS....SHE DID A GOOD JOB.......I BOUGHT ONE OF THE TIGWAVE 250"S WHEN THEY CAME OUT IN 1990 AND I MUST ADMIT I LOVE MINE ALSO.............. ALTHOUGH CURRENTLY MY BROTHERS USE IT MORE THAN I DO..........BY THE WAY IT WAS ON YOUR WEB SITE THE CURSEING, BUT THE KIDS STILL GO LOOK YOU KNOW HOW THEY LIKE BIKE'S AND CARS............HAHAHA .........REMEMBER HOW WE STILL ARE AND I AIN'T YOUNG..................THANKS AGAIN......ROCK[email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X