Question about wiring my garage to 220v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about wiring my garage to 220v

My uncle is coming over to wire my garage for my MM 175. He asked me what size fuses I need but I have no idea about electical stuff He said we will be using two 120v lines to get the 220v we need. So I looked in the owners manual and it says the "max recommended standard fuse" is 20. So does that meen that each line has a 20 amp breaker, or dose it meen that the each have a 10 amp breaker. Sorry if I have this all wrong, I just want to have everything ready for my uncle when he gets here.
    Thanks
    Jaromy

Re: Question about wiring my garage to 220v

Originally posted by JSmallwood
    My uncle is coming over to wire my garage for my MM 175. He asked me what size fuses I need but I have no idea about electical stuff He said we will be using two 120v lines to get the 220v we need. So I looked in the owners manual and it says the "max recommended standard fuse" is 20. So does that meen that each line has a 20 amp breaker, or dose it meen that the each have a 10 amp breaker. Sorry if I have this all wrong, I just want to have everything ready for my uncle when he gets here.
    Thanks
    Jaromy
    Each 120 volt leg should be on a seperate 20 amp fuse or circuit breaker. Also, If I m installing this I WOULD NOT use the recommend minimum conductor that is in the manual. I personally would use a 10 ga. wire, but for sure nothing smaller then a 12 ga. wire.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

you want to use a single 220volt breaker. don't use two 110volt breakers for each leg. you don't want to drop just one leg--not good for power supplies. if there is a problem you want a complete disconnect.
      chip

Comment

Originally posted by chip hayden
        you want to use a single 220volt breaker. don't use two 110volt breakers for each leg. you don't want to drop just one leg--not good for power supplies. if there is a problem you want a complete disconnect.
        Chip

OOPS! My posting does sound like I m saying to use 2 120 volt circuits that aren t hook together doesn t it. In the future I ll have to pay closer attention to how I word this one. It can be a unit that looks like two seperate 20 amp breakers , but they are stacked side by side in the panel ,and there switch levers are connected together ,so that if one leg trips it disconnects the other leg too.

Sorry for any possible confusion. It was just so obvious to me that they needed to be connected together that I didn t even stop and think about the possibility of not having them connected together. I was just trying to get across the point that a 240 volt 20 amp circuit was two seperate 120 volt 20 amp legs.
        Also, they make 230 volt breakers with one switch on them too.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Thanks

Thank you, now I know what I'm looking for. It's off to home depot for me.
          Later,
          Jaromy

Comment

Working...
          X