I need information on a Westingarc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need information on a Westingarc

A few years ago, I purchased a MIG unit called a Westingarc that is made to plug in to an AC/DC welder. I would like to find any information on it. The reason it would be handy, is that it uses the E20 spool gun, with 50ft of cable, and would be handier than my Lincoln 250 for one of my projects that I will be starting that requires my doing a fair amount of aluminum welding.
    Any information or leads would be appreciated.
    Bob
    Last edited by jjock; 09-23-2007, 01:43 PM. Reason: clairity
    Things that are of no use to a pilot, runway behind you, altitude above you, and gas in the pump.http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...lies/smile.gif

Bob,

All it is is a Westinghouse controller that contains a gas solenoid, a welding current contactor, and a feed speed control for the gun. It needs 120VAC to run the controller. The welding lead connections should be obvious.

I saw on back in the 60's while I was in the service, but never used it.

Probably not much help, but it was a pretty simple looking device, as I recall.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
    HH 210 w/DP 3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
    Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Westingarc

Thanks, I didn't think it would be a problem hooking it up, but all my training has taught me that it is very hard to put the smoke back into the machine once it has been made, so I am cautious.
      I thought that the machine would have been common enough that there would be lots of people who would have had experience with the machine.
      The welder I want to hook it up to is a Miller Dimension 400, and I think it will make a great unit for my purposes.
      Bob
      Things that are of no use to a pilot, runway behind you, altitude above you, and gas in the pump.http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Bob,

Let this soak 'till all the ballgames are over. Somebody will have one or know something more about them, I'm sure. As soon as the post-game shows are over, the guys will be back!

Hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        MM 210 w/3035, BWE
        HH 210 w/DP 3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
        Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Did you ever get that spool gun working?

Hi,

I'm sorry to be four years late on this subject but did you ever get the spool gun working with your welder? I have a chance to pick one up and would like to see if it will work with a CC machine (stick welder) or not.

Thanks,

Tony

Comment

I need information on a Westingarc

No, I was never able to find a wiring diagram or instructions on how to hook the Westingarc unit up to my Dimension 400. It is sitting on the shelf while I still use my Lincoln 275 amp MIG unit. I think I have all the parts, but I don't want to make a mistake and wreck my big blue box.
            Bob

Comment

Westinghouse spool gun

Hi,

I went ahead and took a leap of faith and purchased the Westinghouse unit I wrote about earlier. It is brand new and has been in storage for who knows how long. It still had the inspector's tag on it and looks like I just took it out of the box. It didn't work as the spool gun motor was stuck, but I have since freed it up and am going to attempt it again.

I have since upgraded my old AEAD-200LE Miller gas drive to a Trailblazer 250NT which is both a CC and CV machine. The Westinghouse unit is made for a CC machine. I found the wiring all rotted and cut it free from the spool gun and bought about 10 feet of replacement cable that I am in the process of re-soldering into place. Due to work constraints I have had to put this on the back burner for the moment but should get back to it before the month is out---hopefully.

In the meantime: I have the docs and installation guide for this thing that shows both the wiring diagram and how to hook it up correctly to your welder.

If you would like a copy of it, I can scan it and send it to you via email. Just let me know. My email is [email protected].

I know that in general spool guns are not made for working with a CC machine. However these models were. So I am real curious to hook it up and see if it can add aluminum welding capabilities to my field rig.

Thanks and let me know,

Tony
              Attached Files
              Last edited by therrera; 06-18-2012, 12:40 AM. Reason: to add photos

Comment

Working...
              X