Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More work than workers?

I have been reading a lot of back issues of "World of Welding"
    and almost every issue I read talks about there being more work in the welding field than there are weldors to do the work.
    Is this the outlook today? Later this month I will be attending Hobarts school of welding. If there is more work than weldors
    Then maybe I will get a job when I graduate. If everything goes well..I will be taking the five month course after the first course I take.
    I know welding is a hard job...Requires both brawn and brain.
    I suppose I have a little bit of both.
    Really now...Is there a shortage of weldors compared to the welding work that needs to be done?
    Thanks
    Tim

RE:More work than weldors?

You telling me no one on here can answer my question? Oh well.
    Tim

Comment

5 months from now it will probably take longer than 1 hour to find a job also.

Comment

Re: More work than workers?

Originally posted by Tim
        and almost every issue I read talks about there being more work in the welding field than there are weldors to do the work.
        Is this the outlook today? Later this month I will be attending Hobarts school of welding. If there is more work than weldors
        Then maybe I will get a job when I graduate. If everything goes well..I will be taking the five month course after the first course I take.
        Really now...Is there a shortage of weldors compared to the welding work that needs to be done?
        Thanks
        Tim
        Yes, there are many welding fields that there are just not enough qualified guys to do it. One of the main problems we have is getting prospective weldors to pass the drug test!
        Nobody, but NOBODY should have a torch in his hand and be on drugs! Ya gotta be SICK to take drugs when you're well! .....(exit soapbox)....sorry, I get carried away on that subject.

I had an instructor that had just attended the Hobart School...man! I have never seen such fine welding that guy could do, even to this day! He was our Acetylene instructor, and when he got done with a vertical 1/8" mild steel butt, you couldn't tell which side it was welded from! That's welding!

Comment

Re: More work than workers?

Originally posted by Tim
          Thanks
          T
          im
          Tim, I do not know how the situation is currently, but a little over two years, I took a welding course at vo-tech through my place of employment and about a month later the plant shut down, checking the want ads I noticed numerous listing for welders(stick,mig and tig) so I thought I would check it out. The second welding job I checked out, I was hired welding/fabricating custum grating. I have been there two years now and still love it and still learning.
          I am glad my previous employer shut down.

P.S. You can see our products at Balco USA.com
          ROCK

Comment

RE:RE :More work than workers

I did go to hobarts today and enrolled in the smaw class (002)
            and I got my course material as well. Its pretty intense. If my pell grant goes through I will be taking the 5 month course after I complete this first one. Started practicing some of the excersises today. Perhaps it might be classified as cheating but I want to make sure I can pass this course with a minimum amount of difficulty.
            Thanks
            Tim

Comment

Re: RE:RE :More work than workers

Originally posted by Tim
              I did go to hobarts today and enrolled in the smaw class (002)
              and I got my course material as well. Its pretty intense. If my pell grant goes through I will be taking the 5 month course after I complete this first one. Started practicing some of the excersises today. Perhaps it might be classified as cheating but I want to make sure I can pass this course with a minimum amount of difficulty.
              Thanks
              Tim
              Tim, I'm glad you got signed up, you're on your way to being a good weldor. Hobart has a top notch school. I don't think you're cheating at all.....welding is practice, practice, practice!!!

Comment

HI TIM........NO YOUR NOT CHEATING....... EVEN IN HIGH SCHOOL YOU ALWAYS HAD THE BOOKS SO YOU COULD READ AHEAD...... THE SAME WITH ANY SCHOOL......... CONGRATULATIONS ON SIGNING UP......... I'VE TAKEN A CLASS OR TWO THERE MYSELF.... ENJOY AND HAVE SOME FUN......... YOU WILL LIKE IT...... ROCK
                [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                X