Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• harvey home hacker sand blasting

Sand Blaster

This weekends project was to tack-weld-up my SS-1 (Soil-amendment Spreader #1).

This is well worn version of what one finds at the home improvment store: about 2' wide by 1.5' diameter. Load in the Soil-amendment and roll it out over a new lawn. Lots of small tacks needed to stablize the welded-wire circumferance to the light sheet metal ends and handle.

I was very frustrated trying to clean away old paint, rust, and Soil-amendment. Small wire brush on a moto-tool was to light, bigger wire brush on a drill would not reach the spaces.

Seemed like a job for a sand blaster, but I do not own one of any sort. Have never used one. Like most such questions I suspect the answer my trend toward "get the biggest, bestest you can afford". For me "bestest" includes that it will store in a small space for the many months it will not be used.

Thinking about one of the cheapo, air hose, syphon, dust all over everywhere things one might buy from Harbor Freight or Northern or such. Do they work or a waste of money.

All opinions welcome.
    Bob
    ("Soil-amendment" is a replacement for a common expletive)
    Last edited by Bob; 10-06-2002, 07:03 PM.

Bob,

I've got one of the portables that I bought forever ago, the Campbell Hausfield with a plastic tank. I've used it very few times, but it does a decent job. I use clean, bagged playsand in it. I really need to start using it more. Just get prepared for the taste of sand, as It gets all over you.

Don
    HH175

Comment

HAHAHA...... I INHERITATED ONE OF THOSE SMALL DEALS FROM MY FATHER-IN-LAW..... VERY DUSTY THE ONLY TIME I USED IT. SEEMS THAT WAS HIS COMPLAINT ALSO....... I THINK I GIVE IT TO MY SON HOPEING HE COULD FIND A PROJECT OR TWO FOR IT.... AS I RECALL STILL IN HIS CUPBOARD IN THE GARAGE IN THE SAME BOX I GOT IT IN.........ROCK
      [email protected]

Comment

I have the C.H. plastic hopper type and have used it for very small jobs and it works OK. Bought one of the pressure types from H.F. and had much more success. The pressure pot styles consume MUCH air. My compressor (5hp twin cyl) couldn't keep the pressure up enough so I used a neighbor’s compressor and tied them together. Yes, it was a real pain but quick and effective. If I had a large job I would consider renting one of the large industrial types to save aggravation.

Use blasting sand and screen it before loading in the blaster. That will keep the nozzle from clogging as often. Wear a hood, face shield, earplugs, long sleeve shirt, mask (protect from powder silica), and pocket less pants/shirt. It's like going to the beach, sand everywhere.
        Duke

Comment

Working...
        X