Bandsaw review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw review

I know there is WAYYYYYY too many bandsaw threads...but I just bought one and wanted to give my review of it.

Since I'm in Canada we don't have Harbor Freight or Jet bandsaws, but we do have Princess Auto (ie: Powerfist) and House of Tools (ie: Force). PA was selling their bandsaw for $270 and HofT was selling it for $300, PA was out of stock so I had no choice but to go with the HofT bandsaw.

After using it for 2 nights just getting used to it and beginning to work on getting it to cut straight (with the OEM blade), the motor began smoking the very first moment I was using it. I figured it was the resin or paint curing under the heat...after an hour or so of use the motor gave out with a white cloud of smoke. So I went back in to HofT and got a replacement motor off an unused floor model, since it was so easy for the replacement I went and bought a good quality blade from them.

This is a cut I did last night with the new blade and functioning motor.

I didn't take a very good picture of the shims...but I had to shim both guides on one side about 0.050" to have it cut straight. Overall after the tweaks I am very happy with it, just hope this motor holds up after all the cutting it's going to do this weekend (the primary reason I bought the bandsaw).
    Conrad Andres
    Thermal Arc 185TSW
    Lincoln SP135T

The particular version that you have is identical the on that I got from HF. They are notorious for letting out the magic smoke But it seems that the bad ones fail fairly quickly. Mine has been running for about a year and seen plenty of cutting. The motor runs pretty hot but it has kept the smoke in so far

Nice job on getting it to cut so straight!
    "Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing"

Lincoln ProMig 175, Thermal Arc 185tsw, Hypertherm Powermax 1000
    Optrel Satellite
    HF 4x6 bandsaw, DeWalt 4.5" grinder, Homier compact bender
    JD2 model 3 tubing bender
    Cummins 7x12 mini lathe, Homier mini mill
    Plasmacam CNC table

Comment

Originally posted by RcRacer View Post
      The particular version that you have is identical the on that I got from HF. They are notorious for letting out the magic smoke But it seems that the bad ones fail fairly quickly. Mine has been running for about a year and seen plenty of cutting. The motor runs pretty hot but it has kept the smoke in so far

Nice job on getting it to cut so straight!
      I guess I could go into business selling piston rings? Haha.

Ya the motor was horrible to begin with and it was just amusing watching it and waiting for it to explode. If I were to upgrade it, it'd be a better stand and swap out the motor...but overall I am quite happy with it. The only thing that burns me is that the HF model is like $120ish USD? And the House of Tools model is $320 CAD after taxes. Ah well it's cheap and does what it needs to do, but ya replacing the blade is a MUST. I couldn't believe how horrible the OEM blade was.
      Conrad Andres
      Thermal Arc 185TSW
      Lincoln SP135T

Comment

Working...
      X