Slag...not forming...bad technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slag...not forming...bad technique?

I was watching my Wall Mountain video again (for about the 12th time) and the bead that is demonstrated (FCAW) has a nice dome of slag that is chipped away.

Now, it appears that the welder is using a more powerful unit than my HH140...don't know if this is the difference but my beads don't form this slag covering...maybe it's not supposed to and/or maybe nothing to worry about.

But if I'm doing something wrong in this area, I'm not sure the weld is correct. Is gun angle an issue or ......?

eddie

I presume that you are using FC also?

Dave
    Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
    http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
    MM180
    SP125+

Comment

go out and buy urslef some fluxcored wire then u will get that nice slag coating u want. lol

Comment

Eddie,what little bit of slag I get with my 140 comes right off with a steel brush.

Bobby

Comment

I love E71T-11(I run Lincoln NR-211 5/64), it gives a nice clean bead just like 7018. I just hit it with the wire wheel and it is nice and shiny. I was running it all day today putting a cutting edge on a big Volvo loader, smooth as silk and a nice clean weld.
          "Weld It And You Won't Be Screwed"
          Rescued from the boneyard SA-250 on a fully equipt trailer (My Wife's Explorer cries every time I hitch up)
          Trailblazer 301G (can't touch the SA-200 for stick)
          Arcair K-4000 A.K.A "The Hissing Cobra"
          HF- 251 TIG box for the TB with a Weldcrap torch, Yes I weld aluminum
          More than a toolbox full of stuff on an F-350 that is way to small

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Massey View Post
            Eddie,what little bit of slag I get with my 140 comes right off with a steel brush.

Bobby
            Thanks Massey...yeah, I brush mine off...I guess if the weld holds, that's all that matters...just thought I wasn't doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
              I love E71T-11(I run Lincoln NR-211 5/64), it gives a nice clean bead just like 7018. I just hit it with the wire wheel and it is nice and shiny. I was running it all day today putting a cutting edge on a big Volvo loader, smooth as silk and a nice clean weld.
              Tozzi...I'm using the E71T-11 and that's what is used in the video...I just need more practice.

Comment

Like Tozzi said,the Lincoln NR-211 is good wire.It don't smoke near as much as the other wire. I have been getting it at Home Depot in Lake Worth, cheaper than any other place I've found.

Bobby

Comment

Well, that's a nice new store...I'll take a run over there from south Fort Worth and check it out.

I think after the inital spool ran-out from my 140, I've been getting a "Weld it" brand from Northern...didn't know the brand would make that much difference but I'll see.

thx

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                    nr232 would probably give you a better quality weld
                    nr211 not rated for over 1/2"
                    Last edited by hogan; 03-30-2007, 05:38 PM. Reason: additional info
                    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Seneca the Younger

Comment

Originally posted by eddie View Post
                      Well, that's a nice new store...I'll take a run over there from south Fort Worth and check it out.

I think after the inital spool ran-out from my 140, I've been getting a "Weld it" brand from Northern...didn't know the brand would make that much difference but I'll see.

thx
                      Who do you think makes Weldit? Hint, click the products tab at the top left and look at the fourth choice down...
                      Bill C
                      "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

Originally posted by BillC View Post
                        Who do you think makes Weldit? Hint, click the products tab at the top left and look at the fourth choice down...
                        Don't want to get too far OT, but since you brought it up, seems I remember a discussion about the HB28 wire and Weldit wire. With my MM180, I got a 2# spool of HB28, and it looks like the Hobart logo at the bottom of the label is the same as Hobart Welders. So, is the Weldit brand just for storefronts while the HB stuff is for a different market?

Dave
                        Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
                        http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
                        http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
                        MM180
                        SP125+

Comment

Working...
                        X