Ballin Your Tungsten????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aeroweld View Post
    Are you still using straight Argon with DCSP or a mix?
    We use "lab grade" everything. For DCSP aluminum we use Helium. Cleaning the metal before welding is critical. We acid etch to remove anodize or alodine coatings, then scrape and alcohol wipe. Welding must be done within 72 hours or the surfaces must be recleaned.
    Two turn tables and a microphone.

Comment

Many thanks .....all valuable input

these are areas that can't be "too" clearified .

like DCSP == DCEN & DCRP ==DCEN or is it the Other way around

Prowess , did his stuff look like this
      My teachers build-up work

Thanks again fellas
      Phil
      sigpicViceGrip
      Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

Vice:
        Yep, close.
        My instructor's style had his "stacked dimes" a tad closer together, more like you had knocked a roll of dimes on their side.......but everyone has their own signature .
        I hope I can find a coupon with his work.
        I may have trashed it.

Thanks for the post!

Hobart StickMate LX 235 AC/DC
        Hobart Handler 125 EZ
        Hobart Handler 187
        Champion 4500
        Mag-Power MP 55 Plasma
        Lincoln Precision TIG 185
        Smith O/A

Clarke 95e

Comment

you can take your non sharpened pure tungsten on dc+ on stainless steel and give it some pedal and you will see the point ball, just make sure you keeep the tungsten perpendicular to the metal or the ball will be lopsided. that is how i do it.
          Life is what you make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mapes S10 View Post
            you can take your non sharpened pure tungsten on dc+ on stainless steel and give it some pedal and you will see the point ball, just make sure you keeep the tungsten perpendicular to the metal or the ball will be lopsided. that is how i do it.
            Just for clarification, how do you take a "non sharpened" tungsten and then see the "point ball"?

Comment

try it, i was showed how to do it that way by a guy who has been welding for the last 30 years and it works. it just forms a ball when you strike the arc and hold it for a second or two, you can see it go from a flat edge to balled.
              Life is what you make it.

Comment

To clear up the DC-/DC+/straight/reverse nomenclature we need to remember that electrons are negatively charged. When you're in DC- (DCEN) the electrons are gathering in your tungsten and flying off towards the work, so it's like shooting a gun straight at your work. When you're in DC+ (DCEP) the electrons are gathering in the work, and flying out at your tungsten, so they're flowing in reverse. where the electrons are slamming into is where the heat goes.

Comment

Working...
                X