Inverter vs. transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter vs. transformer

Is it just me or there is difference in arc characteristics between inverter and transformer based arc welders? My impression is that inverter arc is very strong and hot and transormer is soft.
    Would that make electrodes behave diffrently when used on one or the other?

You've got it backwards. Inverter arc's are lower voltage than the same amperage transformer machines.

Comment

Yes, there is quite a difference between machines, but it isn't just inverter vs transformer. Inverters have the capability for a lot more variation the transformers, and can range from very soft to quite harsh, even on the same machine, as the settings are varied. Lower end and smaller inverters have less to play with, and often have whatever arc they have.
      I may not be good looking, but I make up for it with my dazzling lack of personality

Comment

My first question to you is, which process are you talking about ? I have an early 1980’s Miller Gold Star, Tig / stick weldor, and a Dynasty 300. The 300 is light-years ahead of the Gold Star far as a Tig welder, but in my opinion the Gold Star is the better smoother SMAW welder. Now that could be contributed to the fact I’ve had the Gold Star for over 20-years. I feel the Gold Star has a better arc for stick welding, but far as Tig welding, it’s not even on the same planet with the 300.

Just my opinion!
        Dynasty 300 DX Tig Runner

Survey says!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue is prettier than purple or yeller

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
          My first question to you is, which process are you talking about ? I have an early 1980’s Miller Gold Star, Tig / stick weldor, and a Dynasty 300. The 300 is light-years ahead of the Gold Star far as a Tig welder, but in my opinion the Gold Star is the better smoother SMAW welder. Now that could be contributed to the fact I’ve had the Gold Star for over 20-years. I feel the Gold Star has a better arc for stick welding, but far as Tig welding, it’s not even on the same planet with the 300.

Just my opinion!
          Cute goldstar , I have one (older but low miles) i don't think I would put as great of a gap on performance ......bear in mind I certainly am not an A1-grade welder by any means....

but haveing done tig with inverters , and a miller syncrowave 350 DX ," or sup'n like at"
          and the gold-star and the Linde UCC-305 ......

having finally developed some level of skill , has made a lot more difference than what welder I use........and easilly the finest and wide-est variety off tig-welding I have witnessed was on that syncro.....

consider that such a severe comparison may be used by others for a very important purchase decision
          sigpicViceGrip
          Negative people have a problem for every solution

Comment

My first question to you is, which process are you talking about ?
            Sorry, I did not make it clear. I am talking about SMAW.

Comment

Originally posted by vicegrip View Post
              bear in mind I certainly am not an A1-grade welder by any means....
              Yeah, me neither. I fall well within the “hack” category!

Survey says!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lwj View Post
                Sorry, I did not make it clear. I am talking about SMAW.
                Well then if you can handle 780 lbs. and leave it in the corner.....why waste the $$s on an inverter

these old airco's have a( lift-arc type function )that even works on stick....

once you are all corkskrewed into position .... and your bent rod is just agsactly where you want it ......just touch ....relax ...and lift and the sweetest ramp-up to full power takes you right through it !
                Last edited by vicegrip; 10-17-2006, 11:00 AM.
                sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Well then if you can handle 780 lbs. and leave it in the corner.....why waste the $$s on an inverter

these old airco's have a( lift-arc type function )that even works on stick....

once you are all corkskrewed into position .... and your bent rod is just agsactly where you want it ......just touch ....relax ...and lift and the sweetest ramp-up to full power takes you right through it !
                  Wow haven’t seen one of those old Airco in years. A friend of mine had one, he bought an LN-22 had a voltage rheostat wired into the feeder, worked great.

Question fer ya, have you run a Dynasty yet?

Survey says!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Transformer vs Inverter on Tig

I have three tig welders. Lincoln 300/300 single phase, Miller SR 200A 3 phase DC and a Miller 300DX Dynasty. I even took a class at the local college to try out a Dynasty. Theirs did not work very good and the second one was dead all term. Eventially I bought the Dynasty for my wife to play around with. From my testing and using positioners with all three welders I find that the SRA on tig welds the smoothest, the Lincoln is second and the Dynasty is third on DC tig. The SR 200A was built in 1968 and it has sat in one of our buildings for about 20 years and was used only seveal times in all that time. Originally we had 3 of the SR200A welders. The old girl had the HF fixed to end the Frankenstein HF and now it works as designed. I think the 6 leg bridge rectifier with the 180 hZ ripple frequency makes it weld so smooth. It has a range from 5 amps to 350 amps and I have never had it off of the middle range. It is plugged into a 20 240 three phase supply circuit and I have never tripped the supply breaker. The lincoln is also so nice I almost can not tell the difference between it and the old 780 pound miller. I have never had any trouble with any of the welders and the Lincoln is now 30 years old. It works as good as the day it was purchased. I bet the Dynasty will be dead within 5 years from just sitting.

On AC tig the Dynasty will allow me to weld aluminum that I could not do with the Lincoln. I tired the Dynasty and the 350LX and still I could weld thicker material with the Dynasty 300 dx that I could not do with any other Tig welder that I tried. I am not a professional welder I am just a shop owner who uses welder on occaision to do difficult repair work that nomally is on small parts that are really expensive.

Regards
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by jcbinc View Post
                      I have three tig welders. Lincoln 300/300 single phase, Miller SR 200A 3 phase DC and a Miller 300DX Dynasty. From my testing and using positioners with all three welders I find that the SRA on tig welds the smoothest, the Lincoln is second and the Dynasty is third on DC tig. The SR 200A was built in 1968 and it has sat in one of our buildings for about 20 years and was used only seveal times in all that time. Originally we had 3 of the SR200A welders. The old girl had the HF fixed to end the Frankenstein HF and now it works as designed............... I think the 6 leg bridge rectifier with the 180 hZ ripple frequency makes it weld so smooth. It has a range from 5 amps to 350 amps and I have never had it off of the middle range. It is plugged into a 20 240 three phase supply circuit and I have never tripped the supply breaker. The lincoln is also so nice I almost can not tell the difference between it and the old 780 pound miller. I have never had any trouble with any of the welders and the Lincoln is now 30 years old. It works as good as the day it was purchased. I bet the Dynasty will be dead within 5 years from just sitting.........................................I am not a professional welder I am just a shop owner who uses welder on occaision to do difficult repair work that nomally is on small parts that are really expensive.

Regards
                      John
                      I am pleased at your post ....it co-oberates much of my opinions on the subject ..but is stated far more elloquently than my gear-head jibberish

Thanks
                      Phil
                      sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Welp everybody is entitled to their opinion!

But sooner or later you’ll have to upgrade, like it or not! It’s the American way ! Where are you going to get parts for these old machines? About 5-years ago I had to have the transformer for the Hi-freq replaced in my Gold Star. Miller doesn’t offer this transformer anymore. The repair center had to get creative, and adapt one. Last year the capacitors started leaking. These are 5,000-volt. Miller discontinued the 5,000-volt ones, only carry 10,000-volt, no problem, used the 10,000-volt ones. But see a trend here? Again, it’s the American way to force you to upgrade, sooner or later its just to much time and money to keep these old machines running.

Survey says!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Welp everybody is entitled to their opinion!

But sooner or later you’ll have to upgrade, like it or not! It’s the American way ! Where are you going to get parts for these old machines? About 5-years ago I had to have the transformer for the Hi-freq replaced in my Gold Star. Miller doesn’t offer this transformer anymore. The repair center had to get creative, and adapt one. Last year the capacitors started leaking. These are 5,000-volt. Miller discontinued the 5,000-volt ones, only carry 10,000-volt, no problem, used the 10,000-volt ones. But see a trend here? Again, it’s the American way to force you to upgrade, sooner or later its just to much time and money to keep these old machines running.
                          Who you call'n whelp : May your mouse bottons get sticky and your moniter go dim

gett'n creative is what it's all about ......ever see someone put a small-block Chevy in a T-bucket ............I got my Hi-Frequ. caps from a very helpfull Canadian seller on E-bay and just for being a nice guy ,,,he even sent me some other caps to experiment with.....even more commonly available.......$32 said and done shipping included : the cheapest miller price locally was $98 "bucks" apeice.........

did you know that your GoldStar tranny cores dissasemble , and that any solid industrial rewinding shop could make new windings......that every single component in my UCC-305 accept the trannys is commonly repaceable from Grainger and the like .....and further probably will be in another 20 years ........even the few circuit-boards it has are bread-boards , and each component can be unsoldered and replaced......with inverters being improved every few years ...how long do you dream each model will be supported ??

There are salvage welders at Bucyrus in the machine shop that were probably there when I was playing with Mr. Machine.....and they still work
                          sigpicViceGrip

Comment

I got my Hi-Frequ. caps from a very helpfull Canadian seller on E-bay and just for being a nice guy ,,,he even sent me some other caps to experiment with.....even more commonly available.......$32 said and done shipping included
                            Do you still have that guys name? Or a link to him? My capacitors are leaking again, and like you say $100.00 from Miller. I would like to sell this thing, but I’m not giving it away either.

Survey says!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Do you still have that guys name? Or a link to him? My capacitors are leaking again, and like you say $100.00 from Miller. I would like to sell this thing, but I’m not giving it away either.

YESS ! I'll look for it ......

the red arrows point to a cap you could get anywhere

the blue arrows point to the money-spunge caps ....that he helped me with !

hold on a bit ..........Phil
                              Last edited by vicegrip; 10-19-2006, 08:42 AM.
                              sigpicViceGrip

Comment

Working...
                              X