OT: Preparing to paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Preparing to paint

I'm making this little widget out of angle iron. 100 at a time. I need to paint them.
    How do I prep them so paint will last.

My biggest question is do I need to clean the carbon coating off? The angle has set out in the rain by mistake and I have to clean the surface rust anyway. If I have to use a wire wheel I would rather clean them before I cut them. My thought though is that I could easily use an acid dip like carbeurator cleaner after all assembled and just let them sit and do their thing. If so what kind of dip and where to get.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    MMMmmmmmmBeeeeeeeeerrrrrrGoooooooooddddddddd!

muriatic acid is my secret weapon against all rust, and mill scale. Full strength (28-32%HCL acid) will easily eat all the scale and rust right off, for a quick cleaning you can attach a trigger spray bottle top to a qt size acid container, quickly give'em all a good spray and then rinse with copious water. For a better cleaning, fill a large glass or plastic container, cut all your pieces then dip them in solution til they sparkle! Muriatic acid is 3.49 for a gallon in my neck of the woods. Be advised, you probably dont need full strength, so you may want to cut it with water a bit (Always add acid to water!) Now, if you've never used muriatic acid before, i strongly suggest you read up on it online because it is a strong corrosive, and it is dangerous. The process i suggested creates corrosive fumes, so outside is best. Resperator is recommended. Goggles, gloves and all that good stuff. However, dont let it scare you. Just be smart with it. After cleaning and rinsing, use a rust inhibitive red primer like rustoleum, then topcoat with paint of your choice. (Topcoating with a similar rust inhibitve is best)
    P.S. muriatic acid is sold at most hardware, home, and pool supply stores

Comment

Another vote for muriatic
      MM210
      Syncro200
      Spectrum375

Comment

Are you guys saying muratic acid will eat the rust off?
        Thanks, Farris
        Play Safe - Be Safe...Thanks, Farris
        MillerMatic 251 (very satisfied with it!)
        Millermatic 250X (sold it, never want another one!)
        AC/DC 250 NAP
        AC 250 Lincoln
        151 MIG CE
        Arrow bandsaw
        HM shop press
        Victor Torch and bunch of other old tools.

Comment

If you are making 100 of them I would invest in a small sandblaster. If you are making 100 at a time and they are pretty small, I would build a tumbler.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!

Comment

Thanks for the help. The acid is 1.99 per gallon at ACE. Can I keep it in a plastic 5 gallon jug? They only sale by the quart and gallon so if I could use a plastic bucket with basket and a lid (which I have) it could be a dedicated outfit.

Thanks so much.

Comment

Yes Muratic Acid is great on rust and removing Galv plating like on bolts, sometimes only a few minutes is needed. I dip flea market finds and they look like new in just a short time with no scrubbing just dip and rinse...Bob
              Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
              Metal Master Fab
              Salem, Ohio
              Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
              http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

Originally posted by petersenj View Post
                ... The acid is 1.99 per gallon at ACE. Can I keep it in a plastic 5 gallon jug? ....
                You should always store chemicals in the containers that they came in. There's just a hundred reasons why.

If that's not POSSIBLE, then make certain you label the container in some permanent way, including any significant warnings and precautions.

Comment

Be careful storing it in an open container. I left a pan of muriatic sitting on my workbench since i was going to use it again in the morning. When I went back out to the garage all the screwdrivers that were hanging on the pegboard above it had lost the chrome. Even the fumes will strip stuff it seems.

Comment

Muratic Acid and tinners flux act the same way, it seems they keep leaching into the air and will rust anything in you shop. Always keep in the orig container with the lid screwed on tight. We had a 4'x6' steel cabinet at work that had been used for the last 80 years to keep welding stuff in, someone left a 10 oz bottle of soldering flux in it and it got knocked over sometime over the years, just the vapors rusted everything inside the cabinet including the steel the cabinet was made of, i scrapped it all. So as Mac said leave it in its comatiner and if you change containers mark it well and be sure the container will hold the product safely in case of accidents. Don't forget to get some neutralizer for after you dip the parts, i use TSP cleaner and hot water....Bob
                    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
                    Metal Master Fab
                    Salem, Ohio
                    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
                    http://www.ceilingtrains.com/
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Comment

polyethylene is a good choice for HCL (muriatic acid). I would suggest ordering an (empty) small plastic drum (10 gallon is a great size) online or from a local supplier. Will be less than 20 bucks, and will have a great fitting lid with gasket. If unsure, double check with supplier about use. Some five gallon buckets are made from poor plastics and chemical wil permeate through them over time. As others have said, if you are storing it between uses, a tight lid must be used or the fumes will rust everything around it. I know from experience... If using a seperate container print out an MSDS from a website and stick it on there. Then you and anyone who comes across it will know what it is and how to handle it.
                      Last edited by blaz72282; 10-17-2006, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I've used it to remove the Cad plating from hardware & used a stainless steel container (which was REAL shiny afterwards...)
                        MM210
                        Syncro200
                        Spectrum375

Comment

I picked up a 5 gallon bucket from HD, Homer bucket. It is the same type of plastic that the acid came in (number 2 in the traingle) It has a lid and all. I tested out today and it works great.

Now I just need to apply the paint.
                          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by petersenj View Post
                            I picked up a 5 gallon bucket from HD, Homer bucket. It is the same type of plastic that the acid came in (number 2 in the traingle) It has a lid and all. I tested out today and it works great.

Now I just need to apply the paint.
                            Thanks
                            If you don't mind me asking. I was just looking around HD's web site and couldn't find anything called a Homer Bucket. Is that it's real name? I just bought a gal of Muratic Acid and have been looking for a container to put it in. We have a Lowe's and Ace Hardware and TSC and no one had anything to put it in. We have a HD about 40 minutes away and don't mind driving there but if I knew what it was called I could call them and ask if they have one. Thanks Mike
                            Hobart Handler 187 MIG
                            ArcMaster-185 AC/DC
                            Purox O/A
                            DeWalt 4.5" Grinder 10amp
                            DeWalt 14" HD Chop Saw 15amp
                            Ornamental Pro 2004 Software

Comment

Homer's Bucket is just an orange 5-gal. bucket. Lowe's sells the white ones. They should have stacks of them all throughout the store. I've never bought a brand new bucket in my life. I was actually a little surprised to see new ones for sale. "You mean you don't have to use all the paint first?"

Comment

Working...
                              X