popping sounds from oxy cuttin torch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popping sounds from oxy cuttin torch

ive search the forums about why my oxy/actelyene cutting torch keeps popping but it continues to do it. when i attach the welding tip, it doesnt make and sounds, so i figure it could be the cutting torch itself. the kit is a brand new Victor Superrange II , and the cylinders and regulators are new also. i admit its been over a year since i last took a oxy/actelyene class at my community college, so i could have forgot some simple steps.

but i went step by step from the Victor owners manual, and cant figure out the problem. the popping sound even occurs when the flame is straight acetyelene.

any help is appreciated

with the popping is the flame also dissapearing into the tip, so that your torch looks like it has muzzleflash instead of a steady consistent flame?
    Proud owner of Bushwacker Mobile Welding
    Pictures

Comment

I had the same problem with my rosebud the other day. I couldnt get it to burn right. I would light the acc, turn up the oxygen and then pow, the flame would go out and I noticed the rosebud and torch handle were heating up.
      Quality Fab
      Newberry, S.C.
      Esab Migmaster 250 w/ ST23-A Spoolgun
      MIller Bobcat 225
      Miller Syncrowave 200
      Hobart Handler 120
      Miller Buzzbox

Comment

Originally posted by Skipper View Post
        I had the same problem with my rosebud the other day. I couldnt get it to burn right. I would light the acc, turn up the oxygen and then pow, the flame would go out and I noticed the rosebud and torch handle were heating up.
        what you have there is a flashback into the torch. Not a good thing by any means. You do have flashback arrestors on your regulators, right? If not, you're playing with fire in more ways than one.
        Proud owner of Bushwacker Mobile Welding
        Pictures

Comment

Originally posted by d0rifto View Post
          ive search the forums about why my oxy/actelyene cutting torch keeps popping but it continues to do it. when i attach the welding tip, it doesnt make and sounds, so i figure it could be the cutting torch itself. the kit is a brand new Victor Superrange II
          You might check out this thread: http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/...ad.php?t=20758
          Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

yea the Victor torch handle has built flashback arrestors, and check valves...

i do notice the flame has sparks coming out. i just got this kit brand new the other day. maybe ill stop by my welding shop that i got it from or call Victor

Comment

I got some but havent installed them yet. Guess I need to do that. Would low tank or line pressure cause this to happen?
              Quality Fab
              Newberry, S.C.
              Esab Migmaster 250 w/ ST23-A Spoolgun
              MIller Bobcat 225
              Miller Syncrowave 200
              Hobart Handler 120
              Miller Buzzbox

Comment

I was going to ask what pressures you are running to the torch.

I assume you have read the manual and are applying the CORRECT pressures via BOTH Acetylene AND Oxygen to THAT MODEL TORCH?

I am not trying to insult anyone, just running all the bases here. Torches and Rosebuds are obviously different pressure-wise than welding torches. I may vary my cut/rosebud torch slightly from my Smith manual, but I am pretty close. I may run 5 oxy and 5 acet to the welding torch, but I run 40 oxy and 10 acet to the cutting torch. It may be different for your application and YOUR torch. Obviously the manual will dictate this.

Sometimes a person not used to NEW REGULATORS sets the regulators incorrectly, meaning they READ the WRONG indication DIAL on the gauge? Again, just running the bases here. A student next to me in my O/A class had his set on, oh, about 45 psi C2H2 before the instructor caught the error.

I can not urge you enough to INSTALL FLASHBACKS ON YOUR REGULATORS and check valves on the torch handle. My Smith CUTTING torch has the anti-flashback head, but I still run checks on the torch handle and flashbacks on the regs. You do not want a flashback situation and "IF" that is what you are getting you need to find out WHY before you continue.
                Torch pops can SOMETIMES also be caused by running too low a pressure on SOME torches, nozzle issues, shutting DOWN the torch incorrectly, and a few other malfunction issues.

Since your torch is new, I would suspect something OTHER than malfunction, but anything is possible.

Hobart StickMate LX 235 AC/DC
                Hobart Handler 125 EZ
                Hobart Handler 187
                Champion 4500
                Mag-Power MP 55 Plasma
                Lincoln Precision TIG 185
                Smith O/A

Clarke 95e

Comment

I noticed that my new torch and tips are coated with some kind of clear coat, I guess to keep metal looking new and shiny. Make sure that orifice is not plugged up with that clear coat, one of my tips was not fully open up. It was #4 and it looked like #1. One run with wire cleaner and it opened up to where it supposed to be.

Comment

Popping is mainly from too low fuel pressure. Crank it up to 7 or 8 #, open the fuel valve, give it some gas and see if it goes away. Very common with larger tips like rosebuds. 90% of the backflash is caused by this. You are starving the thing for fuel, its trying to burn back to get it.
                    when i attach the welding tip, it doesnt make and sounds, so i figure it could be the cutting torch itself. the kit is a brand
                    The welding tip is smaller and requires less fuel, it will snap too if you keep turning down the fuel supply. I would not be jumping to the assumption first thing that its the equipment.
                    Last edited by Sberry; 09-28-2006, 10:16 PM.
                    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

possibilities

Howdy Howdy! There are two things to cinsider with "bad sounds" from torch tips, cutting or welding.... one is a single or double pop, and that is a backfire, common and NOT very dangerous. A FLASHBACK is a steady hissing sound, or rapid gunshot sounds, like automattic fire wepon. THAT is very dangerous. A backfire is often caused from a spark blowing backwards into the orifice, and then back firing it out the orifice...often due to dirty steel, poor distance from material, dirty tips. A flashback, is usually dirty tips combined with poor gas flow regulation and such. I would not blame the equipment yet. I WOULD get a tip cleaner and run it through each orifice. I would also use a fine file, and file the face of the tip off. Just enough to take the orifice shape back to a squared off 90 degree edge, a true cylindrical shape, with no rounded edges. You would file before running the tip cleaner through. If you have a fresh new out of the box tip, I would put that in and give it a whirl. Good luck! Brian Lee Sparkeee27

Comment

tighten tip

Make sure your tip is sealing good and also that it is tight..if it's not tight it will pop.
                        Farris
                        Play Safe - Be Safe...Thanks, Farris
                        MillerMatic 251 (very satisfied with it!)
                        Millermatic 250X (sold it, never want another one!)
                        AC/DC 250 NAP
                        AC 250 Lincoln
                        151 MIG CE
                        Arrow bandsaw
                        HM shop press
                        Victor Torch and bunch of other old tools.

Comment

Yeah, that is what my new Victor did the other day. The tip wasn't seated quite right. It was tight, but not seating correctly. Swapped tips and all was well in Torchville.
                          Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

These are all good pointers.

However, the most important thing I will continue to stress is to READ YOUR MANUAL that came with the torch.

Follow the recommended PSI settings, and make sure they are right. Make sure you have everything set up correctly, and all connections are sealed and NOT leaking. Test with soapy water. You don't want to OVERTIGHTEN brass fittings. Use a simple tank wrench you can get from a welding supply shop if one did not come with your set, not a cresent wrench.

Blow out any foreign debris by slightly cracking the valves on both tanks before you hook up your regs and hoses. Blow out the protective powder in your hoses before you hook them up to a torch. Open the Oxy valve on your tanks SLOWLY when you dump the pressure into your oxy regulator, and then open it all the way. Open Acetylene tank valve 1/2 to 3/4 turn so you can get it shut down quickly if you have an emergency.

All this SHOULD be outlined in your manual. And I think you said you took an O/A course, so you should have the basic skill set you need.

FINALLY..... WE ARE NOT THERE. So these are just suggestions. We can't experience first hand what you do. Be safe and make sure all is well before proceeding. If I were to "guess' I would guess improper torch PSI setting. That's just a guess. It could be another issue.

Then have fun using your O/A setup!!!

Hobart StickMate LX 235 AC/DC
                            Hobart Handler 125 EZ
                            Hobart Handler 187
                            Champion 4500
                            Mag-Power MP 55 Plasma
                            Lincoln Precision TIG 185
                            Smith O/A

Clarke 95e

Comment

Take off the tip nut. Remove the tip. Check the mating surfaces for dirt/nicks/etc.; if they are OK, the tip nut was just too loose. If you nicked the tip, swap tips. If you nicked the seat, take it to a shop and have it reamed - 5 minutes, and usually free around here.

Put it back together and tighten the tip nut with a wrench! It needs to be tight, but not overtight. I usually chuck mine in the vise and tighten it until the tubes are just about to deflect. That's plenty tight.

Hank
                              ...from the Gadget Garage
                              MM 210 w/3035, BWE
                              HH 210 w/DP 3035
                              TA185TSW
                              Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
                              Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Working...
                              X