MIG aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIG aluminum

When using a mig welder to weld aluminum, can a 135 machine be used successfully or is a larger machine more benificial? Should a hand spool feeder be used instead of a teflon liner in a typical set-up? I am looking at getting into a larger project and the purchase of new equipment will have to occur. Most projects will be of carbon steel but the first project is going to be an aluminum trailer frame. I don't have to have the best of the best but I do want something good enough to do the job properly but just require less technique, skill, and time than TIG.
    Thanks,
    Mike Grady

Re: MIG aluminum

Originally posted by mikegrady
    When using a mig welder to weld aluminum, can a 135 machine be used successfully or is a larger machine more benificial? Should a hand spool feeder be used instead of a teflon liner in a typical set-up? I am looking at getting into a larger project and the purchase of new equipment will have to occur. Most projects will be of carbon steel but the first project is going to be an aluminum trailer frame. I don't have to have the best of the best but I do want something good enough to do the job properly but just require less technique, skill, and time than TIG.
    Thanks,
    Mike Grady
    Mike

Sorry to tell you, but in my opinion, the minimum MIG machine that is going to guarantee you sound welds in the material thickness that an aluminum trailer will require is going to be a MM 210. Also, since your wanting this for a trailer a spool gun is a must have item too. Reason being because the spool gun gives you trouble free feeding of the wire. Aluminum wire is soft and doesn t like being pushed the 10' + length of the MIG gun cable.

I own both a HH 175 and a MM 210 with a spool gun. The parameter chart that comes with the HH 175 has recommend setting for up to 1/8" aluminum. These recommended settings have the voltage and wirespeed at maximum with an .030 wire, and with .035 wire the voltage is at maximum and the wire speed is at 90%. Where as, my MM 210 has recommended settings for up to 3/8" thick aluminum.
    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Thanks for the information. I figured that was going to be the way to go BUT I had seen other applications using the 135.
      Thanks,
      Mike Grady

Comment

Check around with your local welding suppliers - many rent excellent machines by day, week & month.
        Trent
        Building my wife's fortune - one machine at a time!
        Bobcat 250, MM210 w/3545 spoolgun, HH135, Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC w/HF251, Red AC/DC tombstone, Victor SRII

Comment

Working...
        X