O/T Add in the local paper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T Add in the local paper?

I'm the new kid around here and put an add in the local trading paper and got alota good calls. 2 however have me wondering. The 1st was from some guy that sounded like Jethro Festus Bodine wantin ta know how much I'd charge an hour ta weld an "H"-brace on a fence. I'm thinkin WTF is an "H" brace? but offered ta come give him a bid. He hung up. The next call that kinda makes me wonder was a lady that kept sayin "he" wants ta know this or that and would I use air-arc ta cut a bed off a truck frame, or O/A? I'm thinkin,,,why would anyone weld a bed to a frame? but told her that I don't have air-arc and would probably use a saw! Then she said..."he" wants ta know what ya charge an hour? I told her, and said, "lady, just let me come give ya a did"! She said, "he" said thanks, and hung up. (This is weird!) If I wanted ta know what some other welder charged, I'd introduce myself, tell him what I do, and ask him strait out! Is this behavior normal where you are?
    "I cut it twice,,,and it's still too short"!

Hobart Champion 10,000
    Hobart Handler 180
    Hobart Handler 140
    Miller 8vs suitcase. (fcaw)
    Victor Super Range
    B&D saw , grinders,& drill motors

I used CAC to cut the box off my truck, took about 5 minutes for 14 bolts, would have taken 2 hours with a saw and grinder. I find most people are willing to explain what they want done, but many of the experienced customers around here have an idea what processes save them money, and then there are many who are completely clueless.
    Proud owner of Bushwacker Mobile Welding
    Pictures

Comment

i get several calls a month that start out with how much to do this or that but really end up biening somebody trolling for information on how to do the job.

Comment

Just Where Is The Swamp Located?

only kidding must be a small rural area. suggestion to get started

i'f you don't have a customer base ,or network yet, make some friends of those who do! make up some fliers and buss. cards. drop them off at auto repair shops ,at auto parts stores, lumber yards, any place that might have a customer that may need welding at some time. I would also do it with a smile, and maybe an inexpensive gift. maybe a small box of choclates. I believe this will bear fruit!

good luck Tool

Comment

NOS, that is one of the main reasons I will never advertise in the paper. Colossal waste of time. Legit customers...read that as ones who YOU actually want to work for, ....won't be looking in the paper for contractors. They'll look in the phone book or online these days. The paper adds will generate more tire kickers and strange calls that any other adds for some reason. I rely on word of mouth and bus. cards for the most part. Built up a good customer base that way. Contractor bulletin boards at stores are another fair way to get some calls. They are about 50/50 for tire kickers and wierdos. When I first started out in this area, I had a set of magnetic signs made for my truck. Drummed up a good bit that way as well. Got a few I'd like to forget as well. That is one of the pains that goes with the territory. You just can't tell beforehand what in the world is going to be calling you. You can control who you are working for. I run into people like that all the time. If they are too picky about how much exactly the work would cost...then they probably can't afford me. Getting nickeled and dimed all the time will kill you in no time flat. Best to price yourself out of their reach and move on. I have taken some strange ones in the past and have regretted every minute of it. Now, if I get a strange feeling about it, I pass.
          Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Tool,Yup! It's "rural" alright. 1/2 the time I'm in Vegas, and 1/2 the time here. Trying to make the shift to more here than Vegas. I've done a couple jobs here, and already have 1 repeate customer with big exposure. He refered a really BIG outfit to me and the bid is in the works. Today I gotta go reinforce a wheel chair lift for a really HEAVY guy., then it's back to Vegas for another 4 days. The word will get out here soon enough I hope.

Lars66 Thats what I 1st thought but it's still kinda weird. Why didn't "he" talk to me instead of sittin there telling "her" what to ask me?

Coalsmoke I'm pretty sure that if I understood her right, the bed sub-frame was welded to the top flange of the truck frame rail. I don't think I'd use anything that gets hot to cut those welds if I didn't have to. Oh-well!

Thanks to all!

Hobart Champion 10,000
            Hobart Handler 180
            Hobart Handler 140
            Victor Super Range

Comment

Rob,

It happens like that 'cause folks are strange. They're strange everywhere, too!

Hank
              ...from the Gadget Garage
              MM 210 w/3035, BWE
              HH 210 w/DP 3035
              TA185TSW
              Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
              Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
                Rob,

It happens like that 'cause folks are strange. They're strange everywhere, too!

Hank

.......................................and getting stranger by the day! Money makes people strange and crazy as well.
                Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Hank & Don! (guess we were postin all at the same time)

BTW Don, Yesterday I had finshed that forklift trailer suspension conversion using the 8vs and was starting to put stuff away, when the guy showed up with some real thin steel fenders he wanted mounted on it "right quick". Didn't feel like draging the 140 out, so got a test piece and started turning the Champ. & 8vs down according to that ratio I gave ya, and at 90/30 it welded good! Not as good as the 140 would have, but not bad at all. Rob.

Hobart Champion 10,000
                  Hobart Handler 180
                  Hobart Handler 140
                  Victor Super Range

Comment

Nos, I agree, if it was welded to the frame rails directly I'd probably pass on that job unless I knew it wouldn't ever go on a highway again.
                    Proud owner of Bushwacker Mobile Welding
                    Pictures

Comment

Rob, i also get the calls with the wife-girl friend talking & hearing the guy in the background coaching her. Seems like this sort of call is always somebody fishing for info. or a next to freebee job done.Another thing i run into quite a bit is after the job is done & your setteled up is oh by the way as long as im here could you just do this & this quick being im here, for free of course because theyve already paid the bill!

Comment

I wouldnt use paper adds, thats the chance you take and the customer has no idea what to expect most of the time. Maybe one thing leads to another, who knows, you pay your money you takes your chances. You are going to have to put up with a lot of nonsense.
                        http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Thanks again ya'll!
                          In defence of the trailer guy, he paid me on the spot for everything I did, and booked me for next week for another trailer job. (He's a tough ole guy ta deal with, but he's honest.),
                          13 weeks of the add was paid for yesterday buy the wheel chair "lift" guy, and he paid cash too. So far it's been ok. I've met alota really nice folks here that, say what they mean, mean what they say, & do what they said they'd do. It's kinda nice!

Hobart Champion 10,000
                          Hobart Handler 180
                          Hobart Handler 140
                          Victor Super Range

Comment

Working...
                          X