Confined space welding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confined space welding.

Anyone here have to weld in a confined space? I do. The smallest is about 20' long and 3.5 meters in diameter. The ozone generation from the MIG weld is off the freaking chart and I have to wear a supplied breathing air hood. Just a whiff or two of this level of ozone makes me sick for weeks! How many of you are exposed to high levels of ozone at your jobs? Most doctors know nothing or very little about the dangers of this stuff. It causes almost an AIDS like effect on your respiratory system; thank goodness it's temporary, but it will make you catch any respiratory ailment that you are exposed to for a few weeks. I had to research all this myself on the internet. My saftey department dropped the ball real bad on this stuff.

BEWARE if you are welding in a confined space. Some of you new guys haven't had to go through the extensive training and meetings that some of us old timers have.

Remember that Argon is heavier than air and will displace oxygen in a hole or confined space. You will never even know that something is wrong untill you are alying flat on the ground, dying from the ****.

All right, I'll get off of the soap box and let someone else get up here.
    Two turn tables and a microphone.

This didn't involve welding but I recall a local case where a guy was in a tank. He passed out and his co worker went in to try to get him out. Neither one made it.
    What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike W
      I recall a local case where a guy was in a tank. He passed out and his co worker went in to try to get him out. Neither one made it.
      We read DOZENS of these case studies in HAZWOPER training. And that's just the ones they tell us about. It's one of the first things you have to learn to control yourself about. DO NOT go in after the guy without protection. I suppose if you think you can get to him and get him out without taking a single breath, you might debate being a hero, but that option is still not presented in training.

Same thing with a drowning person in the ocean. TAKE THE TIME to take off your shoes before jumping off the ship after him.

Comment

I am one of the smaller welders who practically live in confined spaces. Up here every hole has to be gas tested even if you are going to be wearing supplied air. Also...must be a hole watch with contact to an approved emergency response team. Locally we have had three confined space incedenses with 7 casualties in s.w. B.C. over the last 15 years.

Comment

I never heard of this ozone thing . When I worked in a shop building tanks, we ran SS Mig on the inside. The company got on this kick for a very short time, they made us promise that we would go home at night and watch TV with our feet above our heads so the inert gases would flow from or lungs. When one of the guys suggested we should do this on company time, they avoided the subject from then on .

I spent a many day inside a barge welding, it can get pretty miserable in there. In short order you can’t see, or breathe. Rule number 1, we always had an outside company come and test each compartment before we’d go in. You still hear about it every once in awhile someone will climb down in a barge, and take their last breath.

I don’t think we can bring this subject up enough! It has been explained to me by my company’s safety man. Supposedly you can take one breath, but the next one is just not there, I guess it is just that fast!
          Dynasty 300 DX Tig Runner

Survey says!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue is prettier than purple or yeller

Comment

[QUOTE=Pile Buck] The company got on this kick for a very short time, they made us promise that we would go home at night and watch TV with our feet above our heads so the inert gases would flow from or lungs.

Not only are old timers good for a wealth of info, but there funny as ****. That put one funny visual in my head.
            PARENT : The problem with you kids today is that you spend too much **** time on the internet and not enough time outside.

KID : OUTSIDE? You got a link?

Millermatic 175
            Econotig
            Daytona Mig plasma
            Smith gas setup

Comment

If I remember correctly ozone is oxigen with an extra electron It is created or concentrated in heavy electrical fields and is responsible for the smell before a lightning strike or corona dicharge from high voltage equiptment . It is more corrosive than oxigen and is definitly not a good thing to breath in any quantity . I have always avioded it when possible and used ventilation fans to difuse it when i smell it , I treat it like the smell of gasoline or propane . I find the source and fix the problem before doing any thing else. A resperator will not protect you from breathing oxone only a supplied air source will do that. Terry

Comment

In my limited research on the subject of ozone the consensus was that there are three groups of people that are exposed to dangerous amounts of this gas due to their chosen proffession. Pilots, water treatment plant workers, and welders. Not necessarily in that order of exposure level. As TL mentioned it is corrosive and very hard on your respiratory system.

I know that you've all smelled that kind of Chlorine smell when you burn a long duration, hot MIG weld. That's ozone. At low levels it isn't that bad and even harmless in very small doses but at the levels I'm exposed to . When I'm finished welding I have to lay there for about 20 minutes while my engineer and co-welder pump fresh air into the tank. I could doze off if it wasn't for the engineer yapping into my headset, checking up on me about every 20 seconds. We have a close relationship as do all teams that are responsible for the lives of each other.

There is a two man team standing at the hole, ready to drag my big *** out if I quit talking into my mic. These are a private contractor company team that we hire just for confined space welding applications. They have backpack air supply and a polyskid/stretcher to put the victim/me on to get me out.

The tank that I weld in is made from 12'X40'X1" thick aluminum that has milled triangular shaped pockets into it. The Isogrid has webs sticking up that are about .080 thick and it looks like a huge freakin cheese grater that you'd be dragged across if the guys didn't have that polyskid to protect you.

Hope I aint boring you guys to death but I get long winded sometimes.

Comment

Pangea

You gotta appreciate the forethought for getting you out and hope you never have to use it. I remember a refinery job where it was policy that every one who entered a storage tank would be attached to a safety line so they could feasibly be dragged out from the manway.....nice flat floor. Well they carried this policy over to the next tank which was full of internal piping which you had to climb over and under to get to station of work. If they had to get you out it would not be a good trip.

Comment

Toxicological Information
                    Ozone is extremely irritating to the upper and lower respiratory tract. The characteristic odor is readily detectable at low concentrations ( 0.02 ppm to 0.05 ppm). Ozone produces local irritation of the eyes and mucous membranes and may cause pulmonary edema at high exposure. Systematically, ozone has been reported to mimic the effects of ionizing radiation, and may cause damage to chromosomal structures. A partial tolerance appears to develop with repeated exposures. Although most effects are acute, the possibility of chronic lung impairment should be considered, based upon animal experimentation
                    the above was nipped from "ozone applications"

Dood, i sure hope your done havin' chilluns, cause your 'swimmers' are in danger !

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Lingle
                      If I remember correctly ozone is oxigen with an extra electron
                      You're on the right track. Oxyen as a free gas in the atmosphere exists as a diatomic molecule, O2, two atoms of plain oxygen. Ozone is a triatomic molecule, O3, three atoms of oxygen.

Comment

Need exhaust blower or air inductor to pull air out of enclosed space for ventilation before, after and while working. Most of the bad gas is heavier than air so exhaust intake should be low. Ongoing air monitoring might be required while working in enclosed space.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger
                          Need exhaust blower or air inductor to pull air out of enclosed space for ventilation before, after and while working. Most of the bad gas is heavier than air so exhaust intake should be low. Ongoing air monitoring might be required while working in enclosed space.
                          No can do in my situation. the weld couldn't be isolated enough to eliminate the possibility of loss of shield gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Pangea
                            No can do in my situation. the weld couldn't be isolated enough to eliminate the possibility of loss of shield gas.
                            Respirator? 30 cfm dip tube? Sounds like you want to work around acumulating gasses. There are ways to "work on the moon" you just gotta use them.
                            d.
                            edit. It slipped my mind that you were wearing a fish head. Sorry bout that.
                            Last edited by diesel; 01-13-2006, 06:07 PM.
                            I don't care what size, just hand me a wrench I'm gonna use it as a hammer.

Comment

Hope I aint boring you guys to death but I get long winded sometimes.
                              Must be the supplied breathing air hood
                              Ed Conley
                              Screaming Broccoli, Inc
                              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                              MM252
                              MM211
                              Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
                              TA185
                              SO 2020 Bender
                              Miller 125c Plasma
                              "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment