No announcement yet.

Looking For An Angle Grinder Suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companies like Milwaukee keep parts available for repairs on many revisions long since out of production of their tools.
    Good point, Jim. I bought an ancient Milwaukee corded drill for $5 at a garage sale. Spent $15 for a new Milwaukee replacement cord & it's good as new.

Surprising that there aren't more people using the Milwaukee angle grinder (6154-20 or 6156-20). With their 12 amp motor, these should be the King Kong on small electric grinders. The only reason I didn't go Red is the switch - the Metabo is better for me.
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot

Comment

I have been looking at getting a 5" DeWalt and called the tool store that sold me my Jet bandsaw to see if he stocked them. His answer was "those are junk, I only sell Bosch", so stupid me asks, why do you think that, well "Bosch are made in Germany and DeWalt is made outside the US" (isn't Germany outside the US ) , so then I said, well why do you sell Jet, as they are made outside of the country, well "thats different" he said So I asked him "where do you take the Bosch grinders when they need repair", he then said, "I send them away to be repaired". So I then said "if you sold DeWalt you could take them to the big authorized repair center here in town and get it back the next day, and you can talk, in person, to the tech that will do the repair", He then said "so what", thats when I hung the phone up.
      Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
      Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
      Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
      Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Good story, George! The DeWalt centers are great. Many have tools at deep discounts, some new, some recon. BTW, if you're looking for any 18 volt DeWalt tools, I've listed these on eBay: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbarrymilton

Decided to go Red with cordless, and bought the Milwaukee V28's.
        Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
        HTP MIG2400

Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Originally posted by precisionworks
          Good point, Jim. I bought an ancient Milwaukee corded drill for $5 at a garage sale. Spent $15 for a new Milwaukee replacement cord & it's good as new.

Surprising that there aren't more people using the Milwaukee angle grinder (6154-20 or 6156-20). With their 12 amp motor, these should be the King Kong on small electric grinders. The only reason I didn't go Red is the switch - the Metabo is better for me.
          Barry,

Ithink that you answered your own question... I really wanted to buy the small Milwaukee grinder, but I also thought that the paddle switch was poorly placed. The body is long and with the paddle by the cord you can't operate it with one hand... I ended up with the Ridgid...
          Bill C
          "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

Originally posted by BillC
            Barry,

Ithink that you answered your own question... I really wanted to buy the small Milwaukee grinder, but I also thought that the paddle switch was poorly placed. The body is long and with the paddle by the cord you can't operate it with one hand... I ended up with the Ridgid...
            Bill, the reason for the paddle at the rear is that the handle is at the front. Grinders are meant to be used with two hands. Not a flame, merely an observation.

Comment

Grinders are meant to be used with two hands.
              Cope, I agree that in a perfect world this would happen. And the wheel guards would always be on the machine

If you haven't snagged & exploded a wheel, count yourself lucky. It happens sooner or later, with or without a guard. Never been hurt by the little grinders, although the 9" could surely do some damage

Because of their smaller size, the 4 1/2" grinders do get used one-handed. Often while the other hand is hanging on to something, like a ladder or manlift platform. It's not that they are designed to be used that way, but it happens more often than you might think.
              Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
              HTP MIG2400

Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Good story, George! The DeWalt centers are great. Many have tools at deep discounts, some new, some recon. BTW, if you're looking for any 18 volt DeWalt tools, I've listed these on eBay: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbarrymilton

Decided to go Red with cordless, and bought the Milwaukee V28's.
                Good looking stuff but all my current cordless stuff is bosch, I am looking at the V28's also but right now I believe I am getting the itch for a plasma cutter for sheetmetal, probably a 125C as I can get a deal on a new one (well, same price as the lowest internet price but locally from my gas distributor).
                Regards, George

Comment

Cope, I agree that in a perfect world this would happen. And the wheel guards would always be on the machine

If you haven't snagged & exploded a wheel, count yourself lucky. It happens sooner or later, with or without a guard. Never been hurt by the little grinders, although the 9" could surely do some damage

Because of their smaller size, the 4 1/2" grinders do get used one-handed. Often while the other hand is hanging on to something, like a ladder or manlift platform. It's not that they are designed to be used that way, but it happens more often than you might think.
                  I believe it. I was grinding under my travel trailer with my 7" Milwaukee while laying on a creeper. I dug in a little too hard and the grinder spun me around 180° and slammed me against the rear wheel.

Comment

7" hitachi is good hadf one till someone smashed it, since have had 4" 4.1/2", 5" bosch 5" the best not too small n enough power. Also Metabo 9" with soft start n 14" chop saw.

Dewalt 18v drill 3yrs PLENTY hammer worn 2 batteries n switch out [24hrs 7 days shift use]

Comment

Originally posted by cope
                      I believe it. I was grinding under my travel trailer with my 7" Milwaukee while laying on a creeper. I dug in a little too hard and the grinder spun me around 180° and slammed me against the rear wheel.
                      You should concider selling that ride to 6 flags , glad you wern't seriously hurt
                      Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
                        You should concider selling that ride to 6 flags , glad you wern't seriously hurt
                        That was 18 years ago. Today I would have been.

Comment

Originally posted by cope
                          Bill, the reason for the paddle at the rear is that the handle is at the front. Grinders are meant to be used with two hands. Not a flame, merely an observation.
                          No offense taken, as you are right...

But there are times, particularly when I am using a wire brush, that I need to do a lot of maneuvering to get around curves and corners, and I'd have to stand on my head using two hands with the screw-on handle. There are also times when I hold the workpiece in one hand and the grinder with the other.

Regards,
                          Bill C
                          "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

Originally posted by BillC
                            No offense taken, as you are right...

But there are times, particularly when I am using a wire brush, that I need to do a lot of maneuvering to get around curves and corners, and I'd have to stand on my head using two hands with the screw-on handle. There are also times when I hold the workpiece in one hand and the grinder with the other.

Regards,
                            I knew where you were coming from. Glad you knew where I was too.

Comment

How do guys with the paddle switches do it one handed? Some of those units triggers are so dang short you have to hold the tail end of the grinder to keep it turned on. Then there's the issue with the safety catch you need to flip before it'll let you hit the switch - those have always been a royal B* when wearing work gloves.

I keep the guards on mine for the simple fact that I have notched my fingers while paying more attention to the work than to where my hands were. I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to creep up too far on the grinder and stick my index finger into the bottom of the wheel. Then there's the fact I like setting the grinder down on the guard - it's ready to be picked up and used with one hand like that, and there's no need to wait for it to spin down first.

Comment

Just a quick one, hopefully

On the very rare occasion, there has been a requirement for an employee to use an angle grinder, so far I have stopped them from using it as they have had no training or experience whatsoever concrete grinder rental Los Angeles
                                (followed by moaning as expected )

So my question is, what training will they need? Is there a specific qualification? covered under some sort of regulation? I have searched on here but to no avail (apart from PPE, Vibration, and noise)

Thanks
                                Last edited by rsujoy; 06-05-2022, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X