X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wworks
    started a topic arc welding?

arc welding?

what is arc welding, is it just another name for stick welding? on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being easy and 10 being hard how hard is it to learn?

• MAC702
    replied
    And that was copy-pasted from where? And why?

Leave a comment:

• BKD
    replied
    Originally posted by Engloid
    You're right...but they also often say "heli-arc" rather than tig. They're both common terms that are most often used incorrectly.

I think tig is easier than stick welding, but most will disagree with me.
    Engloid, I'd have to agree.

While I have only about maybe 30 minutes of arc time with TIG, it was MUCH easier than I expected it to be. In about 1 minute the Miller rep had me laying some BEAUTIFUL beads... I almost wanted to cry when I lifted my hood That was with a Syncrowave 180SD... so that machine has found a soft spot in my heart... I don't see how an inverter could be sweeter than that. I would make it a point to try one out, but I don't have the money to afford a TIG and a MIG machine both

TIG is like helicopters... HIGHLY ADDICTIVE.

Leave a comment:

• Engloid
    replied
    Originally posted by metalfab755
    this is true. but if i am not mistaken, and i am pretty sure i am not, stick welding is comonly refered to as arc welding.
    You're right...but they also often say "heli-arc" rather than tig. They're both common terms that are most often used incorrectly.

I think tig is easier than stick welding, but most will disagree with me.

Leave a comment:

• wworks
    replied
    thans every1 for the help. i learned just the basics, horizontal welds flat on a concrete floor. it was awesome and i cant wait to get a welder of my own ASAP

Leave a comment:

• lars66
    replied
    Originally posted by Sberry27
    The overhead and vert is what seperates everyone here, I (as well as others) do not even consider the position a factor. I often see jobs where the thing was just a bit difficult and the weldor just never learned how to do out of position work. I think its a must and if anyone goes into this biz without being a compentant out of position stick welder they have a hard row to hoe. This is a place where there is a huge difference between those who think they know something about it and those who actually do. You cant turn a pipeline or an excavator over to make it easy for some half asser to work on. This is a place where the skill level is as obvious as night and day. It should be priority 1 for young guys interested in this biz to learn this as fast as possible, the rest of the things many guys get wrapped up in are not as important as you may think at the time. I have seen 30yr welders still havnt got it, never took the time to learn. Their poor skill level may be passable where they are but lose that job and try to go where you have to do it right and they wash out. They find that the 30 yrs experience as a "weldor" is irrellevent when they try to get a real welding job. I have seen this a lot in maint depts of plants, electricians too,, they go from one day to the next and cope, the plant shuts down they really find they dont know anything, now they are qualified to work in a hardware store at best.
    also wedged in so tight you can only see what your trying to weld out of the corner of one eye trying to balance in a half laying half sitting position & can only get one arm snaked in to hold the stinger & make a quality weld.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    overhead welding was extremely hard for me to learn, but i picked it up quite quickly. this still somewaht amazes me but considering that i have been working over my head alot my whole life (i'm only 5'3"), that may have been a little bit of an advantage.

Leave a comment:

• Rod_Burner
    replied
    Amen to all the advice on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• BillC
    replied
    Overhead welding had a mystique about it until I tried it the first time. Although it is not as comfortable, it is just as easy as flat or horizontal. Vertical is the hardest in my opinion...

And none of this takes root configuration into account. Open root is an entirely different animal than a fillet weld or using a backing plate...

Regards,

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    The overhead and vert is what seperates everyone here, I (as well as others) do not even consider the position a factor. I often see jobs where the thing was just a bit difficult and the weldor just never learned how to do out of position work. I think its a must and if anyone goes into this biz without being a compentant out of position stick welder they have a hard row to hoe. This is a place where there is a huge difference between those who think they know something about it and those who actually do. You cant turn a pipeline or an excavator over to make it easy for some half asser to work on. This is a place where the skill level is as obvious as night and day. It should be priority 1 for young guys interested in this biz to learn this as fast as possible, the rest of the things many guys get wrapped up in are not as important as you may think at the time. I have seen 30yr welders still havnt got it, never took the time to learn. Their poor skill level may be passable where they are but lose that job and try to go where you have to do it right and they wash out. They find that the 30 yrs experience as a "weldor" is irrellevent when they try to get a real welding job. I have seen this a lot in maint depts of plants, electricians too,, they go from one day to the next and cope, the plant shuts down they really find they dont know anything, now they are qualified to work in a hardware store at best.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by BillC
    Why don't you buy a hat??? It hurts to have sparks flying onto your head. It took me less than one class to figure that one out...

Regards,
    i have a hat but i have REALY long hair and nothing quite covers it all. i've just gotten used to my hair being singed.

Leave a comment:

• BillC
    replied
    Originally posted by metalfab755
    exactly. overhead welding is/was a pain for me because my hair would always catch on fire<<SNIP>>
    Why don't you buy a hat??? It hurts to have sparks flying onto your head. It took me less than one class to figure that one out...

Regards,

Leave a comment:

• m16ty
    replied
    It took me about 6-8 years of on and off welding to get pretty good at stick (I'm not a master by no means). I bought a tig welder about a year ago and could do some pretty good welds after about a day on AL and steel. Maybe it was because I was already good at stick and some O&A that I picked tig up easy but with amp control and no smoke or splater tig was a walk in the park.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by clintonwelding1
    entirely true, i also never took the time to do overhead and all that stuff. I can get a pretty good bead too but, remember there no such thing as mastering stick. Like you can do better overhead than me but, maybe i can weld stainless or aluminum with smaw better than you. The person who says they've mastered any process has to take a look at if ther can do EVERYTHING perfect. That means every type weld, rod and size of rod. It was fairley easy in the beggining to do butt welds, lap welds, fillet welds but aluminum and stailess over head up/doen verticle theres always much more to learan
    exactly. overhead welding is/was a pain for me because my hair would always catch on fire but i was welding alot of car lifts and transmission lifts at my dads work so i had to realy work on overhead welding. and with learning tig, is someone has only oxy/actyl welded before, and was pretty good at it, tig is much more easier then just learning tig without knowing anything else.

Leave a comment:

• clintonwelding1
    replied
    entirely true, i also never took the time to do overhead and all that stuff. I can get a pretty good bead too but, remember there no such thing as mastering stick. Like you can do better overhead than me but, maybe i can weld stainless or aluminum with smaw better than you. The person who says they've mastered any process has to take a look at if ther can do EVERYTHING perfect. That means every type weld, rod and size of rod. It was fairley easy in the beggining to do butt welds, lap welds, fillet welds but aluminum and stailess over head up/doen verticle theres always much more to learan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X