arc welding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arc welding?

what is arc welding, is it just another name for stick welding? on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being easy and 10 being hard how hard is it to learn?
    Hobart Handler 175 Mig
    RIGID 14" Chop Saw
    DeWalt 4 1/2" DW402 Angle Grinder

yes, arc welding is another term used for stick. there realy is no way to rate how difficult it is because it could be easier or harder for some people. but i would have to say 3 just to have an estimate.

Comment

awesome thx im learning how to arc weld tomorrow and i cant wait!!!
      Hobart Handler 175 Mig
      RIGID 14" Chop Saw
      DeWalt 4 1/2" DW402 Angle Grinder

Comment

wworks,

Here are a few arc welding terms:

Shielded Metal Arc Welding SMAW
        Gas Tungsten Arc Welding GTAW
        Gas Metal Arc Welding GMAW
        Submerged Arc Welding SAW
        Flux Core Arc Welding FCAW
        Plasma Arc Welding PAW

So, arc welding is not just stick welding. It is any form of welding where the energy is transferred via an electric arc.

Laying beads on flat plate is easy. Mastering the different electrodes in different positions with different joint preparation can take a long time.

Regards,
        Bill C
        "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Comment

Originally posted by BillC
          So, arc welding is not just stick welding. It is any form of welding where the energy is transferred via an electric arc.
          this is true. but if i am not mistaken, and i am pretty sure i am not, stick welding is comonly refered to as arc welding.

Comment

yes that is very true, i know from working at the welding supply that lots of people come in and say do you have arc welders most commonly looking for a stick welder.

so yes it is commonly called arc welding but arc welding and also stick welding are not correct terms. To be absolutely correct it would be SMAW. But stick id the most common name

Comment

most people, that i know atleast, dont even refer to a welding process by its correct name.

Comment

Originally posted by wworks
                awesome thx im learning how to arc weld tomorrow and i cant wait!!!
                Are you going to learn everything about it tomorrow? Sounds kind of unusual the way you posted here, is some information not being revealed?

Comment

Tom,you havent heard? Its some kind of download thing. You see, theres this plug on your neck and then.................

Comment

A lot of things commonly said/done should be corrected, and calling Stick welding "Arc welding" is one of them. As Bill says, there are LOTS of arc welding processes. Stick is ONE of them.

Before a dozen years ago, most people who had an arc welder ONLY had a Stick welder. Only recently has the backyard mechanic started buying little MIGs instead of Stick welders. Used to be only professional welders had MIGs, etc. That's why a lot of amateur weldors (there's another term that's actually DISAPPEARED from dictionaries: weldor versus welder) think an arc welder is a stick welder. Doesn't make it right, and there's no reason to perpetuate the misnomer.

There is nothing incorrect about calling it Stick welding. SMAW more accurately identifies the process, but Stick is still good. You use "stick electrodes" in the SMAW process.
                    Last edited by MAC702; 11-26-2005, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TEK
                      Tom,you havent heard? Its some kind of download thing. You see, theres this plug on your neck and then.................
                      Dang! For all these years I though that was a mole...I godda go to best buy and get a cord to fit it. Awe crap, I'll bet they don't make that kinda patch cord anymore. Even the adaptors,

Comment

Mastering stick, i'd rate an 8...that's for 'mastering' it. TIG i would give a 10.
                        "Why do i ask such difficult questions? 'Cause i know the answers to the easy one's!"
                        *****Heineken*****
                        -any questions or discussions on 'gout' are welcome-

Comment

yeah on hardness to master it about 7 and for tig 10. thats just me though every one is different.

Comment

Originally posted by clintonwelding1
                            yeah on hardness to master it about 7 and for tig 10. thats just me though every one is different.
                            Have you mastered both??

Its rather hard to state the degree of difficulty of something you've never done don't ya think?

To start learning SMAW is quite simple. Their are a myriad of training programs and books available. The Initial cost of basic equipment is lower than Mig and Tig.

Andrew
                            Andrew.

CIGWELD Transmig 250 Remote!!
                            Weld NZ 160amp DC pulse/DC Tig / Stick
                            Telwin Bimax 152 Mig
                            NZIG Handi AC Stick
                            NZIG Comet 3 O/A Set

Comment

Stick IS cheap and easy to get started with. When you try to advance to 'overhead' and such, it requires some skill and talent. I do alot of stick and im ALWAYS learning..L..
                              "Why do i ask such difficult questions? 'Cause i know the answers to the easy one's!"
                              *****Heineken*****
                              -any questions or discussions on 'gout' are welcome-

Comment

Working...
                              X