Correct Sticks For Welding Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by legend
    i prefer mig but i've done plenty of exhaust work using a stick welder with low amperage dc on about 60-70 amps using 3/32 6013 rod since its not as messy and doesn't run as hot as 6011 so it wont burn through and will run just great if you know what your doing.
    i welded up my exhaust on my with 3/32 6013 and it came out nice.

Comment

I've done lots of exhaust pipes and mufflers; what I generally use is 3/32 rods at around 40 amps, I generally use 6013. You can clean the weld and raise the amps to 60 and go over it again to make it smoother using 1/8'' but be careful. Joe

Comment

Which method ?

The condition of the exhaust pipe dictates for me which machine to use. New pipe ,maybe stick but preferably mig. Old pipe , I like mig . I'll even use O/A with a coathanger in a pinch . I repair a lot of heavy equipment mufflers at work using what ever it takes . Those 500-800 dollar mufflers hurt the pocketbook .

Comment

One thing I might mention; I've found it a good idea to paint at least the welded areas on exhaust pipes because it seems that welded steel tends to rust pretty quickly.

Comment

1/8 rod

Originally posted by Chrisp
            I don't know about that. The Fire Department I work for has built 4 wildland trucks, 2- 5 ton 6x6's and 2- 5/4 ton units. I built all of the exhast for the 6x6's and one 5/4 ton with my '65 red face SA 200 and 1/8" 6010 (because that's all I had on my rig), with better results than the public works welder did with his WIRE machine. If you know what you are doing, you don't need JB weld . So far I haven't run across anything that somebody just absolutely had to have welded with a wire machine ('cause it's the best ) that I couldn't do with my gasoline rig. Just because a few people in this world can't do something well, doesn't mean everybody can't. Chris
            The metal must have been thick if you used a 1/8 rod..the exhaust pipe we use around here isn't thick enough to weld with 1/8 maybe 3/32 if you're experienced. thanks, Farris
            Play Safe - Be Safe...Thanks, Farris
            MillerMatic 251 (very satisfied with it!)
            Millermatic 250X (sold it, never want another one!)
            AC/DC 250 NAP
            AC 250 Lincoln
            151 MIG CE
            Arrow bandsaw
            HM shop press
            Victor Torch and bunch of other old tools.

Comment

I have welded 20 ga sheet metal with 1/8 rods. If you know what you are doing, it isn't hard.
              Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

This thread is old!

Howdy,
                Firstly, I want to apologize if bumping an old thread is deemed a 'bad idea' here. The way I figure it is creating a new thread with similar questions only clogs up the search engine for other noobies looking for information. No sense in that.

I'm wanting to do some exhaust work, but a mix of different metals. (throw a little stainless into the mix for vband flanges and downpipes and such)

I have a Hobart 235 AC/DC. I have been practising on DC positive with some lap joints using 3/32nd at about 80 amps. Should I be using 6013 at a lower DC+ amperage setting like 50, then try practising filling in with 7018 afterwards?

Still fairly new, and am curious if anyone has a cheat sheet for different applications. I can sure find a lot of 7018 videos on youtube, but next to nothing on exhaust work.

Comment

Well, I'm going to have to buy smaller rods

I picked up a bunch of junk in the dumpster behind a muffler shop to practice on. I burn right through.

Guess the best from what everyone says DC- 6013. I'm going to try that, and 7018 DC-.

I have been trying 1/8 rods at 60 amps, and I can't get the weld started, it keeps wanting to stick.

Practice Practice Practice.

Comment

Go with smaller diameter sticks; 1/8 in anything is too large for relatively thin-wall exhaust pipe. The LWS or even Sears, Canadian Tire and so forth probably carry 6013 in 5/64. Don't burn the whole stick in a continuous run but do quick start-stops, so to speak, to keep the heat input manageable. That gives you a chance.
                    Good luck and let us know how you make out.

As a teenager I learned on exhausts with O/A and it worked well, but it's old-school and can cause collateral damage if you're not careful....think dripping undercoating .
                    CanoeCruiser
                    Harris dual-stage O/A
                    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                    Hobart IronMan 210
                    Lincoln PowerMig 135
                    Miller 3035 spoolgun
                    Thermal Arc 185
                    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
                    Angle grinders, vicegrips, the usual suspects
                    Two hands, tired body, not enough time...

Comment

Working...
                    X