X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Will Bleeker
    • Apr 2003

wire jams in Mig gun

I am currently building a farm bridge using railway line and RSJ's I am using a SIP 330amp machine with a binzel gun and have used 1.2mm wire and .9mm wire I have also used another binzel gun. The problem that I am having is that the wire jams in the gun after about 10 minutes of welding I tried to give the machine plenty of rest between runs because I thought I may have been exceeding the duty cycle (60%) but that hasen't worked,I also tried another new gun which didn't work,then I tried the thinner wire and that didn't work either.I think that this is an electrical problem I have checked the connections at the feed rolls and earth etc all look to be like new the machine is about 6 years old but has only been through 6 rolls of wire.
    Thanks in advance
    Will Bleeker
  • bjdenommee
    • Apr 2003

Will, I feel for ya. there has to nothing more fustrating than wire feeder problems. Trying another gun did not produce any better
    results only makes matters worse.

Do you think that the gun may be overheating? this would cause the tip to contract and jamb the wire, try leaving more of a stick out, or use a gun type spray.

Is the feeder shutting down, and the machine running to cool down, then yea you may have overheated the machine.

Stick out when running larger size wire is always a problem to overcome, belive me.

Give it a try and get back to us

Bernie

Comment

G'Day, Will...is the machine located near the ocean? In San Diego, we are, and the atmosphere is corosive from the salt air...could be oxidizing your liner. A bad contact tip can frustrate the situation even more. All that said...you say it runs fine for 10 minutes before it "pack a sad"? Is this consistant? If so, could it be a board problem? I don't know how, but It is a puzzlement.

I have had problems with wire that had too tight of a curl, like from a small diameter (100mm) spool.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2003, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• Will Bleeker
        • Apr 2003

Tried again

Bernie and Rocky
        I had another go at the job today I used more wire stickout and only got 7 minutes before failure but for the first time the wire feed shut down after a while it started working again, this leads me to think that there is some kind of thermal overload in the gun that triggered the machine to stop working until it cooled down.My previous problem with the wire sticking did not occur this time so I am assuming that the wire stickout fixed that.Rocky,both liners are new so I think that is not the problem and I have also used several different contact tips.

Comment

• bjdenommee
          • Apr 2003

Will I had a Lincoln 175 that did that after obout 4 years of abuse
          the thermels would shut down the feeder. I replaced the thermals and the machine came back to life, still use it very often.

Good Luck
          Bernie

Comment

• Hobart Expert Rock

HI WILL BLEEKER.........WELCOME ABOARD........... I AM NOT AWARE OF ANY THERMALS IN ANY GUN MANUFACTURERS MIG GUNS BUT I'VE NEVER CONTACTED BINZEL.......... PERHAPS WE SHOULD FIRST ASK THEM IF THEY HAVE THERMAL'S IN THEIR GUNS........I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP YOU OR NOT BUT TRY CALLING +61-8-827-66494 OR WWW.WELDINGINDUSTRIES.COM.AU PERHAPS THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT GUN YOU COULD TRY ON YOUR UNIT......... JUST A THOUGHT IT MIGHT HELP..............REGARDS...........ROCK....
            [email protected]

Comment

Will here's another thought...one time I had the drive roller loosen up and walk to the out side...the result was a curl in the wire that would jam up in the liner....I had a heck of a time diagnosing why my wire was bird-caging.

Comment

• Hobart Expert Rock

WILL BLEEKER..........I WAS ACTUALLY SUGGESTING YOU TRY A DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS GUN.......ALSO AS AN AFTER THOUGHT ARE WE USEING GAS OR FLUX-CORED WIRE....... IF IT IS FLUX-CORED WIRE TRY USEING A BIGGER CONTACT TIP IF YOUR USEING FLUX CORED..............STILL TRYING TO HELP...ROCK.....
                [email protected]

Comment

• banzaitoyota
                  • Feb 2003

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a RSJ?
                  My politically correct no advertising/no ethnicity bashing/no shoving my religious(or lack thereof) beliefs down your throat moderator approved signature. For further info on making your own sig, subscribe to my secret yahpp gropu with over 300 members for $9.95

Comment

• Will Bleeker
                    • Apr 2003

reply to posts

Thanks Guys

My next step will be to get a loan of a different gun to try,I am using gas,all the wire feed mechanism is in good condition as the machine has used less than ten rolls of wire since new even though it is 8 years old.A RSJ or Universal Beam is what you guys call an I Beam, the RSJ has tapered flanges the Universal Beam has paralell flanges.
                    Thanks
                    Will

Comment

Re: reply to posts

Originally posted by Will Bleeker
                      Thanks Guys

My next step will be to get a loan of a different gun to try,I am using gas,all the wire feed mechanism is in good condition as the machine has used less than ten rolls of wire since new even though it is 8 years old.A RSJ or Universal Beam is what you guys call an I Beam, the RSJ has tapered flanges the Universal Beam has paralell flanges.
                      Thanks
                      Will
                      Which translated in our terms in the US of A would be Standard I beam, and Wide Flange beam respectively.....I think.

Comment

Jackson County Florida has made some cheap quick bridges using RR flat cars which they bought used.

Comment

• bjdenommee
                          • Apr 2003

The thermals are not in the gun, they are in the machine.

When they open, the drive roll motor stops until the unit cools down enough to close the thermal and restart the drive motor.

I had a defetive thermal, and would shut down reals quick and then restart.

Comment

Working...
                          X