Weld puddle visibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weld puddle visibility

I decided to pull out my little 90 amp MIG welder this last weekend and practice what I have been learning in my welding classes. I am learning stick welding at my local tech school, and I like the stick welding a lot better so far... With the MIG welder the nozzle of the gun seems to cover up the weld puddle. Stick welding seems much friendlier because the weld puddle is so much more visible...
    Bill C
    "The more I learn about welding the more I find there is to learn..."

Hi Bill,

Keep in mind that in MIG, you only penetrate where the arc touches the base metal, so keep the arc in front of the puddle. Angle your nozzle so that you can see the back and sides of the puddle as well as the front. Also practice going in both directions. In the field, you will find that you will have to do that from time to time.

Sounds like you're having fun!

Comment

Thanks Rocky!

Yep, I'm having lots of fun. And I started going left to right and right to left almost on the first night. Seemed best to start that way and not face a steeper learning curve after I had mastered only one direction.

With my little MIG I have to drag the nozzle to maintain the arc. Stickout length I guess? I am using flux core.
      Bill C

Comment

Bill, when using flux cored wire it is proper technique to pull it. If you try to push it like you do GMAW solid wire, you will most likely bury alot of slag.
        Respectfully,
        Mike Sherman
        Shermans Welding

Comment

mike has given you some excellent suggestions. here's another quick thought -check polarity. some flux cored[gasless] wire runs DCEN not DCEP. have fun! chip.
          chip

Comment

Thanks Chip, Mike, and Rocky for the advice! I'll be trying again this weekend, and I'll let you know how it turns out.
            Bill C

Comment

Working...
            X