Tig Torch and high frequency unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig Torch and high frequency unit

I came across a high frequency unit and a tig torch that seem to be pretty old. The torch is made by Tig Arc Mfg. in South Houston and the HF unit is made by Solar. Is anyone familiar with either of these products? The torch has a cup on it made by Linde. Just wondering if it was junk or something useable.

Thanks

Never mind

Never mind, I found out what I needed to know.......

Comment

Which was?
      What do I know I am just an electronics technician.

Comment

Tig torch

Mike, I found that the torch uses all Linde parts, which are available and the high frequency unit still works. I was concerned about the torch, which seemed to be an obscure brand and I wouldn't be able to get parts for it.

I just have to change the connectors on the unit and it looks like I'm in business to TRY to TIG weld aluminum. It will be my first attempt at TIG using my Miller Thunderbolt.

I wanted information about the HF unit to see if it was worth spending any money on it or if the general feeling of the welding community was that it was junk. It looks like the only money I will have to spend on it is for the new connectors.

Thanks for asking....

John

Comment

MOJUNK........... A WORD OF CAUTION........ THE T-BOLT ONLY GETS DOWN TO ABOUT 35 AMPS....... SO IF YOUR DOING SOME THIN ALUMINUM BE CAREFUL AND DON'T BURN THRU........ HAVE SOME FUN...........ROCK............... [email protected][email protected]

Comment

Thanks, Rock....Could you suggest a starting amperage for 3/32 pure tungsten, 3/32 aluminum rod and 1/8" aluminum base metal? Also, I'm going to get a tank of 100% argon, but what would happen if I used 75/25 argon/co2? I know I shouldn't, but I was just curious as to what would happen.

Thanks,

John

Comment

MOJUNK........START AT THE LOWEST SETTING ON THE T-BOLT...... ADJUST FROM THERE.......75/25.........WOULD GIVE YOU SOME OF THE BLACKES WELDS YO EVER SEEN.......CO 2 IS A HOT GAS AND WOULD FORCE THE ARC TO BLOW THRU......POOR ADJESION, ETC..... BUT HEY TRY IT THEN YOU WILL ALWAYS KNOW WHAT IT DOES........... BUT GO AHEAD A GET A TANK OF ARGON..... PRACTICE ON SOME SCRAP WITH THE 75/25..... THEN PRACTICE ON SOME SCRAP WITH THE ARGON.......ALUMINUM WELDING REQUIRES A SKILL AND A KNACK THAT (I WASN'T ABLE TO AQUIRE IN 4 HOURS) WILL TAKE A GOOD BIT OF TIME TO DEVOLOPE..... BUT YOU CAN STILL HAVE SOME FUN WITH IT............ROCK... [email protected]

Comment

Thanks, Rock...That's all I really want to do with it....play and have fun. I guess that if I really need to weld aluminum, I can always go to the MM175. I will try it as soon...Thanks for the help...

John

Comment

HI JOHN......JUST LOOKED AT MY REPLY TO YOU........ SO MANY ERRORS GUESS I SHOULD LOOK AT THE SCREEN WHEN I TYPE AND NOT THE KEY BOARD...........SORRY......... BUT I THINK YOU WERE ABLE TO CYPHER THRU THE MISSPELLED WORDS....... ROCK
                  [email protected][COLOR=blue]

Comment

Rock, I HAVE to look at the keyboard....I had no problems reading it and deciphering it. I appreciate the help, even if there may have been a few mispelled words. By the way, would the teflon liner for the M10 gun help with the feeding of aluminum wire enough to justify the cost? This is for infrequent use, not production stuff. On a MM175....

Thanks again,

John

Comment

HI JOHN..........YES THE TEFLON LINER WILL FIT FROM THE HANDLER GUN INTO THE MILLER MATIC GUN. THE SAME MANUFACTURER MAKES THEM FOR US AND THE INTERNAL AND FRONT END PARTS ARE ALL THE SAME...........MM135/175 AND HANDLER 135/175 USE THE SAME GUN PARTS EXCEPT FOR THE SWEDGE LOCKED BACK END.....................ROCK

Comment

Working...
                      X